Topic

WM Summerlite vs. Montbell Super Stretch Down Hugger #3

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) WM Summerlite vs. Montbell Super Stretch Down Hugger #3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

WM Summerlite vs. Montbell Super Stretch Down Hugger #3. Simple question, I am sure it has been covered many times before, but which one would you go with? And what do you feel is a realistic temperature range?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

can't comment on the montbell, but the summerlite is a very (very) high quality bag w/ an accurate temp rating- 30 degrees, obviously this could be pushed a bit w/ insulated clothing. I had to trade mine off though as it was too tight (I'm 6' 190#), it's definitely a trim cut- but if it fits it's definitely a keeper :)

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

I recently aquired a new/old Montbell UL super stretch #2 and i got a chance to try it out last weekend, and i must say that im hooked. I have been using a WM Irquois thats about 10 years old now, and the Montbell is far roomier, and just as light. Personally I had bad experiences with zipper failures a year after buying my Western Mountaineering bag. IMO its not worth the extra money over the Montbell.

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I choose the Montbell Stretch Hugger #3 as I wanted a bit more room. I have about 12 days in it and am happy. It was a bit cheaper but I would have purchased the other also. I will wear layers to increase comfort in lower temps.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

A friend of mine uses Montbell, and based on his comments I'd say if you move during the night, go with the Montbell.

It's "give" is a plus.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Andy, if you read any previous threads on this or look at the reviews (buy a membership) you will get a totally different response then those above.
    Its hard to beat the Summerlite, it is best in its class. Bar none!
    YMMV

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I own two MontBell bags and have fondled with WM Summerlite and Ultralite bags. My views:

1. You won't go wrong with either. Both are first rate.
    2. MB warmth rating is "spot on" for me. All the feedback I've read over the last 4-5 years, most people feel the same — with a minority writing that they felt cold at the rated temps.
    3. WM — the majority actually felt the bags conservatively rated — meaning warmer than rated. Only a small minority felt cold in their WM's at rated temps.
    4. MB shell /liner material feels noticeably softer and comfier than WM (although WM material is plenty soft and plenty comfy).

So how to decide?

1. If you are a bigger than average guy — the Summerlite cut may be too constricting for you. Go for the MB with its highly-rated stretch feature.

2. If you sleep cold or you anticipate temps down to 25F — maybe go for the Summerlite. OTOH, one thing to also consider is that when temps drop below 30F — the super stretch MB may be more conducive to layering than the more narrowly cut and less stretchable WM.

But really, at the end, both are great bags and it's hard to go wrong with either.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

Another vote for either bag. Both are high quality, but I'd give the nod to WM for being maybe a bit higher quality.

If you can live with the inner dimensions of a WM bag, you can't go wrong. The MontBell bags, however, give you the ability to stretch out, and if necessary wear your regular insulated clothing inside the bag without overcompressing either.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

I haven't handled a Montbell sleeping bag that was as well filled as a Western bag. Apples to apples, Westerns are more densely filled, ie no cold spots. Most people will find the Summerlite more accurately rated of the two. Although a cold sleeper, I've used the Summerlite (w/adequate pad insulation) below freezing happily.

If, by chance, you're a bigger guy and want more room in a bag, the MegaLite is the wider cut version of the Summerlite. Or you could get the expander panel, but probably just go w/wider bag.

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

I am about 5'11" and 170 lb. I pretty much wear a medium in all clothes. Athletic, runner build. Am I going to feel like I am being held hostage in this bag? Is it really cut that much smaller than most bags?

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Andy, I think most people get too carried away talking about the cut of the Summerlite. I'm 5'6 and 165; I feel like the Summerlite has extra room that I don't need. My taller, skinnier friend does prefer a wider cut. But bottom line, I think you'll fit fine in the Summerlite. FWIW, I'm a side sleeper and tosser/turner… roll with the bag and it's a beautiful thing.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I could fit in my summerlite, it's just that is was tight- mostly notably so in the shoulders. I think as the above poster stated, if your 170 and more of a runner's build you'll probably be fine. Worse case scenario- you won't have ANY trouble getting rid of it (or sending it back depending on where you purchase it)- WM bags go for premium prices even if used.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Andy, I am 6'2" and 175 lbs. I had the larger Megalite (to big) and sold it to get the summerlite. The fit is great!

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Tad, I think you just said the magic words!!!

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I considered both these bags this year and went with the Montbell.

I think you should look at these two bags as meeting completely different needs. If you typically toss and turn and like to stretch out a bit while you sleep get the Montbell bag, the WM bag can't compete in this category. That was the deciding factor for me when I bought my MB UL Super Spiral #3 this year. Great bag, I've never been more comfortable.

If I had wanted to stick with a slim cut bag (like my old bag) then I'd have gone with the Western Mountaineering bag. I think WM makes fantastic bags and they are a bit lighter.

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Already bought the Summerlite. Got it on Gear Swap from Brad Rogers. I'll let you know how it is. Brad gave me lots of info on both bags and didn't try to push it on me. Seems like a great guy. $215…pretty good deal…it think.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Andy, $215 is a steal (great deal)
    No way can any bag compete at that price!

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

"Andy, I am 6'2" and 175 lbs. I had the larger Megalite (to big) and sold it to get the Summerlite. The fit is great!"

Tad (or anyone else with an opinion on Summerlite/Megalite fit), can you wear a down sweater and use the Summerlite comfortably? I have a Megalite and love it, but would switch if I could layer and fit.

Edit: I'm 6'1"/175#

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I'm 6' 190 stocky build and I couldn't use a down jacket very well- one of the reasons I went to the fuller cut Marmot (Hydrogen)

I think if your build is on the slimmer side, you probably could

$215 for a summerlite is indeed a good deal :)

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

I have a slim build so it sounds like it's worth considering. Wish there was somewhere near me to try one out. I got a great price on the Megalite and don't want to end up re-buying at normal prices.

No doubt, $215 for a true 32 degree bag of WM quality is a sweat deal.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

with the exception of fleece and baselayers … i usually put my clothing on top of the bag

several reasons

– i want all the body warmth to be toghether and not seperated by clothing layers … think of gloves and mitts … given the same weight mitts are warmer because it takes better advantage of body hear

– i want the more damp stuff (clothing) on the outside of the bag so it doesnt dampen the bag itself … usually the outer side of the bag has better DWR as well

– the down in the bag isoften has the highest and dryest insualtion you have … i want that closest to the body as possible … you want to get yr bag warm as possible right at the star, if you wear clothing it has to heat up the clothing before the bag … down is an insulator, if you get into a bag cold it'll stay cold till it warms up … think thermos and ice

– i dont want too much of an oversized bag … warming up all that air inside takes energy

course it all changes if you are forced to bivy in your clothes and bag in the middle of a climb =P

just my experience

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

With the MontBell bags the stretch system will have the bag close to your body whether or not you're wearing extra insulation. Plus, if you use VBL clothing, the insulation won't be getting wet because of perspiration.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools