Topic

contact lens wearers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique contact lens wearers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

That's funny. You're half way there…keep practicing!. Also, forgot to mention. I've used the reflection off sunglasses before. Polarized lenses work the best and are very close to actual mirrors. G'luck

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I carry a small signal mirror with my kit for emergencies. It works well enough for putting in contacts. I've tried without a mirror for putting mine in but it's difficult in my left eye as well.

I also use the mirror in combination with a tea light at night for reading (outside of shelter). Along with my windscreen it provides ample illumination/reflection. For areas that do not allow a campfire it's a subtle tribute to a cozy campfire.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If you are carrying a compass anyway, get one with a sighting mirror. The mirror can be upright at 90 degrees when you place the compass flat on a log or rock. The mirror is also an emergency signal mirror.

Jeffrey List
    BPL Member

@jlist

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'll always take a mirror in case a contact lense gets displaced to the back of the eye and I need to fish it out.

A good lightweight mirror is:
    http://www.rei.com/search?query=Coghlan%E2%80%99s+Featherweight+Mirror

Made of plastic, you can score the back with a utility knife and snap it to any size you want. A 1.5" x 2" piece weighs 0.3 oz.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I think glasses are best if they're only for occasional reading and close-up tasks, but I don't need them for this. For distance vision, I prefer contacts.

I have worn soft contacts (and tried various other types), but can't any longer due to dry eyes and increased astigmatism. I now have to wear glasses, but wish I could wear contacts. I constantly fiddle with my glasses due to various sweat, precipitation, and fogging issues.

If you wear glasses, be sure to use a retainer of some kind. It's very easy to lose them in water and especially snow.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools