Topic

BPL, Threads, and Bushwhacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique BPL, Threads, and Bushwhacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Everett Vinzant
    BPL Member

@wn7ant

Locale: CDT

I've discovered that I learn the most from an unusual place. The threads here are wonderful. However the biggest piece of insight for me typically comes when the thread has taken a serious left turn off subject (posters go bushwhaking).

Examples: I never considered layering down under rain gear a bad idea. I had never done it. I would consider only doing it with a poncho after reading about the "sauna" it can create. This was in a thread that was talking about a specific type of raingear. Not exactly entirely off subject, but a useful nugget none the less.

What piece of gold did you find in a most unusual place (and if you remember, where was it)?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the best and only real way to learn is by doing …. you learn best when things go wrong ;)

even if yr a city slicker with a jobs and kids you can learn and test yourself every day … every heavy rain/snow forecast should just be an excuse to test your gear for a few hours … any park/forest/hill you live near by should be a chance to go whack some bushes (keeping in mind safety and the environment)

take a daytrip … hike a few hours up a hill in pouring rain or freezing snow and you'll find out what works very quickly

Everett Vinzant
    BPL Member

@wn7ant

Locale: CDT

I'm of the opinion that Wisdom can be acquired two ways:

1) learn from your own mistakes as you recommend

2) learn from other peoples mistakes

I prefer option 2, it costs SIGNIFICANTLY less time, money, pain, etc..

So, although I agree that you have to do some things on your own, what I was referring to was; out of the things I learn here, the best nuggets of wisdom come from when the conversation takes a tangental subject, and then returns to the original subject. The tangent almost always has some wonderful little piece of gold in it. That is what I am asking about.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools