Topic

Airlines: Firesteel/Firestarter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Airlines: Firesteel/Firestarter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

@trooper

Can I pack a firesteel and some UST Wetfire tablets in my checked luggage?

Weiyi Wang
    Spectator

@wwyjedi

Locale: mid

firesteel: no problem. I've done that couple of times.
    Wetfire: not sure. probably not allowed.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I've flown with esbit/hexamine tablets a number of times without issue. Not sure if you are "allowed" but I've done it.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

A firesteel is no problem.

Firestarters, esbit, and anything else like that is banned by TSA regs.

On the other hand, I would not be a bit surprised if a tiny bit of that accidentally fell into my suitcase, and it has never been detected.

–B.G.–

@trooper

Thanks for the replies! I knew the experience here would be faster and easier than trying to interpret the TSA regulations.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Apart from the firesteel, you might take cotton balls for stuffing in your ears when trying to sleep in the trail hut with all those snorers, and some vaseline to use instead of body glide. And maybe the two will get mixed up together, and the vaseline get all over the cotton balls, and then, why then you've got a great firestarter all from very innocent materials!

@trooper

"Apart from the firesteel, you might take cotton balls for stuffing in your ears when trying to sleep in the trail hut with all those snorers, and some vaseline to use instead of body glide. And maybe the two will get mixed up together, and the vaseline get all over the cotton balls, and then, why then you've got a great firestarter all from very innocent materials!" -Stephen Barber

Simply brilliant. I'm actually ashamed I didn't think of it myself.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools