Topic

REI Ultralight Packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI Ultralight Packs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Todd Brashear
    Spectator

@topper1969

Hey,

I’m thinking about using my dividend towards one of REI’s new ultralight packs. Has anyone tried one yet? The one I’m looking at is the UL 45L which is 3050 cu in in size large and weighs 2 lbs 12 oz.

I was thinking about getting this pack because between my dividened and the 20% discount I wouldn’t have to spend much.
    Thanks
    Todd

Marla Sharp

@khiorihotmail-com

I just got the REI UL 45L and love it. It is superbly made, hugs the body right, and is the right size and volume to carry what you need comfortably. I like how it feels like a pack, not a sack thrown over my shoulders. Worth the extra weight for me.

dan kutcher

@danscapes49

Looks like a decent design, but one of the attractions of the compression straps has always been that you can stuff something (raingear, sweater, etc.) under one and cinch it down for drying and/or quick access later. Routing the straps inside the pack body seems to be a step backward, in my opinion. It looks nicer, but could work better if not routed under the fabric.

dan kutcher

@danscapes49

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

dan,

make the URL, or address (URL = Universal Resource Locator for us technoGeeks) a HTML href “mark-up” and it will become a true hyperLink.

check out Ryan Jordan’s post & the follow-on replies in the ADMIN section of the Forums. the msg trail deals with adding Pics to posts. read the whole msg/post trail & you will see replies dealing with adding active hyperLinks to your post.

if you’ve never done it, HTML “mark-up” is quite easy to do – it’s NOT really programming. only a few extra characters of text on either side of your URL & voila’ you have an active hyperLink.

as far as the pack goes, did y’all check out the GossamerGear Mariposa? it has a true int. frame & can carry 35-40lbs (read the BPL in-depth review of this pack. BPL says 35lbs max, but they like the pack). it only weighs 14oz-17oz, depending upon cfg./options. i don’t own it, but i do own the GossamerGear G5 pack – superbly made, i love it.

Linda Alvarez
    BPL Member

@liniac

Locale: Southern California

I was excited to see the new REI packs too, but after trying one on in the store, especially with weight, I was very disappointed. I found the shoulder straps and hit belts both really uncomfortable. I don’t know if it was lack of padding or them just not fitting my body right but I knew after about 30 seconds I would never want to carry that thing for days at a time. I wound up buying a Gregory Z-pack which had similar size/weight specs but was WORLDs more comfortable. Backpack fit is incredibly personal, of course so the REI pack may be just the ticket for you. Good luck.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools