Topic

Hardshells: 3-season, 4-season, etc.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hardshells: 3-season, 4-season, etc.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Do you guys maintain separate hardshells for winter and non-winter seasons?

I can't imagine hauling my winter hardshells (which are thicker, stiffer, heavier, 3-ply layer) around on a summer hike and wearing them to deal with a summer squall. Likewise, my summer rainshell (2.5-ply layer) would be too thin and "unsubstantial" for winter use.

I mainly use my winter hardshells for skiing, snowshoeing, and random faceplanting in the snow. I don't do the same with my summer hardshells (obviously).

Is there anyone out there that uses one hardshell system all year long?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Yes, my Ski Patrol parka and EMS mountain parka are both 3 layer GTX hardshells. My summer parka is "one layer" PacLite GTX.

Huge difference in weight but the winter parkas offer better protection and a powder skirt at the waist, plus MANY more pockets.

If you can afford it better to get one for winter & one for 3 season. You'll still be going for the winter parka in late fall and early spring for cold drizzle and wet snow days.

BUT… I do use my summer PacLite GTX pants in the winter on occasion – with synthetic long johns. Of course in bitter cold I use Thinsulate insulated GTX ski pants and polar weight polyester long johns beneath.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Laminate fabrics have no place in true winter conditions (ie no chance of rain).

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

bushwacking, scrambling, climbing … my arcteryx shell does it all seasons … a UL shell would prob get shreded quickly

in the PNW there is no such thing as true winter

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Hmmm, well m' man, there a lot of folks who use "laminates" in the coldest weather who would disagree with your blanket statement – and that would include most of the world's modern militaries.

Sure, if you're GARANTEED no wet snow or rain then tightly woven, VERY tightly woven fabrics are fine. Me? I'd take eVent anyway for good breathability and being able to sit or lay in snow (say, when hunting) with no concern about body heat causing melting snow to leak through the shell.

BTW, even the coldest Alaskan winters do have Chinook winds.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

eric opined, "in the PNW there is no such thing as true winter
    "

In the PNW there is no such thing as true winter— or summer. Six months each, Spring and Fall :)

I wear a laminate hard shell around town as it takes a beating. I don't do snow sports so, my light rain shell (Patagonia Rainshadow) is just fine. I used to cross country ski and never wore a shell– I wanted {{{{{ventilation}}}}}.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

We don't get Chinook winds out here and we regularly get -30 without windchill. No moisture for about 4 months Light weight Softshells and Windshells reign supreme for these conditions. Shells can be pretty useless except for a condensation catch

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

I've used my Rainshadow several times for skiing Snowbird. But honestly, unless you are in the PNW, a softshell is money.

My Arcteryx Sidewinder SV has since been in the closet, being replaced by the Patagonia Ascenionist.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

heavier goretex proshell in winter…
    featherweight golite (virga?) 3 other seasons

in PA

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

'Dry' cold, Buffalo Special 6 shirt with Montane Extreme hood. Worn next to skin.
    'Wet' cold, Crux Flak eVent pullover. Traditional layering.
    'Mixed' weather, rain in valleys, snow up higher, Paramo Aspira pullover.
    Summer, TNF Triumph Anorak.

I use the Crux shell for backpacking in winter, as the layering system is more versatile for me in Scotlands changeable climate. The other 2 systems tend to be used for day walks/activities.

Used in Scotland.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

The Rab/ID eVent shells are about ideal as year-round hard shells. I can generally wear one almost as a windbreaker (almost…), & the fabric's tough enough for any season… at 10 ounces, not bad.

That said, for deep winter I usually just use a windbreaker. If it's 0*F it's not gonna rain, and I'd rather work on moisture management w/my layers. That said, if I know I'm going to be spending a ton of time rolling in the snow, ice climbing, etc then I might go for a hardshell. I do like Paramo-like garments for those conditions, too.

Always struck me as odd that Patagonia, for example, offers Houdinis during the summer months and not winter. In summer I'm guaranteed rain and soak-thru on a windbreaker. In winter, I get better breathability w/little concern for soaking thru w/the windbreaker.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools