Topic

NEW – Patagonia Merino Underwear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) NEW – Patagonia Merino Underwear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Patagonia has added a line of
    Merino Underwear that will be in stores around Labor Day. The Merino comes in three weights:
    The #2 is 145g/m
    The #3 is 230g/m
    The #4 is 265g/m

The weighs listed on the web site all seem to be the same. I ordered a #2 LS Crew this morning that was listed at 7 oz. I mentioned the weighs for all seemed to be the same and the sales person said he would send a note to the web site folks and have them check and correct the web site.

I will weigh mine and hope it will be lighter. I asked about a #1 version and was told they are working on it but because the fiber for the #1 is so light they have had some durability issues.

Joseph Rothstein

@joe_r

The #2 wool is already a tiny bit lighter than Smartwool’s microweight, which apparently has durability issues. Did they tell you how light the #1 stuff will be?
    (Also, your weights should be per meter^2, not per inch^2).

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Bill,

Are you sure about those wts? 145g is approx 5oz …. per sq inch?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

1.- I changed the inch to (m).
    2.- They did not say what the weight of the #1 was just that they were working on it.
    3.- I should get mine about the middle of next week and will weigh it. It will be size large.
    4.- Maybe Ryan and Crew will see them at the OR Show and ask about the #1 weighs etc.

I told them I would take a #1 and let me worry about how long it lasted.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I just got a call back from my sales person. He took a #2 wool crew size medium and weighed it. It weighed 3.5 ounces. He also took a #3 wool crew size medium and weighed it. It weighed 6 ounces.

With that information I am hoping my #2 wool crew size large will weigh in the 4 ounces plus a bit range.

I asked about the weight of the #1 and he said he has never heard them say but if the #2 weight is 145g/sq m then the #1 might must be in the 100g or less range.

I asked about a vest and he said they were working on a sleeveless version.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

WOw! Now that’s something I’ll be ordering. Maybe they’ll make a #2 hoody like the shadow :)

Kim Skaarup

@skaarup

Locale: Cold, wet and windy Scandinavia

Icebreaker have a 190 gram and a 200 gram pr. m2 “fabric”.
    And it just work super. I have no problem with it. Using every day during winter and also during summer activities.

http://www.prolitegear.com have them.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi Kim, I like and own two Icebraker products. However the long sleeve (Called the U Turn 190) cost more and weighs more. 9.4oz for the large size.

The wool weight rating between the two are 145g and 190g which might allow the Patagonia #2 to dry faster than the Icebreaker U Turn 190.

I was ready to buy a U Turn 190 but was waiting to see what new stuff was shown at the OR Show this weekend. I got an email from Patagonia this morning about their new stuff and was surprised to see the Merino products.

Johnny Gish
    Spectator

@jtgish

Locale: Colorado

anyone tried the new capilene line yet? Im picking my capilene 2 crew and bottoms up tommorrow but I was wondering about the new gladiodor and if it works or not. If noone has used them yet I will post a report soon.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

I’ll be interested in hearing your experiences with it… looks pricier than Smartwool, but less so than Ibex or Icebreaker.

A sleevless #1 might make a very nice base layer…

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

UPS just delivered my Patagonia # 2 Wool Crew in size large. To the scale and it weighs 190.4 grams or 6.7 ounces. I am sitting here with it on and I think I could wear a size medium. If I am ever any place where they have a medium for sale I will try it on. I will not sent this one back.

It looks very well made and the material is soft. I am wearing it next to my skin and if wool makes you itch you might not like this as a skin layer. Try one on first if you have that problem and want something as a skin layer. I can sleep on old army blankets and just don’t think about the itch. The feel of this next to my skin is just a little scratchy. Also not enough for me to worry about.

Thomas Travis

@tbtravis

Bill,
    My experience with Smartwool Merino is that it is a little itchy right off the shelf, but it completely goes away after one or two washings.
    Tom

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Thomas,
    That is what I am hoping. I have 2 Icebreaker items and they do seem to get softer with washing.

You notices that I did not say I was returning them. I get the bottoms on Friday.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I just recieved my Patagonia #2 Wool Bottoms, size large. They wiegh 179.8 grams or 6.34 ounces.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools