Topic

Which down balaclava?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which down balaclava?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Febbo
    Spectator

@febbom

I need a down balaclava for sleepwear in 3 seasons. I use my MH Phantom down jacket as part of my sleep system (or a Patagonia Micropuff). I need the down balaclava to integrate well with a hoodless down jacket, hopefully so that I can fully zip-up the collar of the jacket without having the down balaclava underneath.
    At best (worst) I will take this balaclava down to 20… though with supplemental head insulation.

So, anyone use any of the following with a hoodless down jacket as part of their sleep system?
    -Katabatic gear Crestone
    -Nunatak Down Balaclava
    -Down Works Standard Balaclava

From pictures, it looks like the Down Works and Nunatak are made to go over a jacket collar, while the Katabatic would fit underneath a jacket collar. Perhaps I am wrong… I hope so, as I really like the looks of Katabatic gear and would love to try one of their offerings.

Thanks for any help.

Brendan West
    BPL Member

@bderw

Locale: Northeast Pennsylvania

I have the Nunatak balaclava, and you're right—it does fit over the collar of a hoodless down jacket. (I have a Montbell Alpine Light.)

But I'm rather jealous of the Katabic's underarm cords. I'm thinking of adding them to my Nunatak, once I get up the courage to not ruin my balaclava!

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I asked about down balaclavas a while back, in this thread.

Of note, Roger Caffin said the Katabatic's were very warm, Feathered Friends has some but you have to ask, and Ben from Goosefeet will make them as well.

Michael Febbo
    Spectator

@febbom

Brendan- why do you want the underarm cords? Does the balaclava not stay put? Also, do you find the Nunatak warm enough for PA/NY winters? (I'm in the same are)

James- what did you end up getting?

Thanks very much guys.

Brendan West
    BPL Member

@bderw

No, it actually stays on fine, but I WORRY that it WILL fall off on dark and stormy night.

And yes, I find it to be very comfortable for PA/NY winters.

Brendan West
    BPL Member

@bderw

And hey, you ever want a hiking pal, let me know. Mine moved to N.C.!

simon hackett

@minimalgear

Locale: UK

What I found with my katabatic hood was that it stayed on fine without cords but when I turned over it twisted if it got stuck on the sleep mat. It also cinched it down tight to the jacket to eliminate draughts. Some photos here: http://minimalgear.blogspot.com/2010/09/katabatic-windom-down-hood.html

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

James- what did you end up getting?

For my upcoming trip, where I don't expect the lows to be worse than 20F, but more likely somewhere between 25-40F, I'm going to take Steve's suggestion and just stick my head through the hood of my BPL Cocoon hoody, leaving the rest of the jacket hanging behind me like a cape, which I'll either lay on top of or bundle under my head as a pillow for sleeping.

But for deep winter I'm going to want something good for very cold temperatures on it's own, so I'll probably go with either the Katabic Crestone, which .9oz of down fill or the Santa Cruz Down Works standard, which has ~1.13

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools