Topic

Does Camp-Dry affect breathability?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Does Camp-Dry affect breathability?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

I'm talking about this stuff, it's a silicone spray.

http://www.amazon.com/KIWI-SILICONE-WATER-REPELLENT-SPRAY/dp/B0014U1AIG

I've used it on my pack before and it does keep it pretty waterproof. I was wondering if I treated my footwear or a jacket with it, how it would affect breathability. Anyone have experience with this?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Silicone sprays generally clog the pores in fabric. This inhibits breathability.

Footwear may be affected less, however. Mesh footwear, that is. The large pore size will keep it somewhat breathable (and not completely waterproof.

Todd

tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

Locale: Desert Rat in the Southwest

From what I remember (from my last application) camp dry stinks more after it is dry more than scotch guard.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Natick labs tested a broad range of DWR products. They summarized their study by saying, "DWRs, when applied per the manufacture's instructions, had no effect on the breathability of fabrics".

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

In my experience REVIVEX is the best available spray-on DWR. Gore uses it at the factory.
    TECTRON is #2 in effectiveness.

NIKWAX wash-in DWR which is dried in a drier at med. temp. and THEN sprayed with two separate coats of REVIVEX seems to be the very best DWR combo I've found. It's as good as factory DWR if not better in terms of durability.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools