Topic

ridgeline

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping ridgeline

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

I know the starting point for rigging a structural ridgeline is 83% of hammock length.

But…is the hammock length based on where the suspension lines are attached, and the hammock already whipped. That is what makes sense to me.

Probably a silly question. Feel free to make fun of me.
    Thanks

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

it shouldn't make much of a difference. If your hammock is 10'6" end to end before whipping it should still be ~126" end to end. If the length of fabric between the whipping is 120" then i would base mine on 83% of the inside number, but really your talking 105" vs 100" ridgeline. If you are planning to make it adjustable (i would) then you could set it at 102.5 and tweak from there. If you want a fixed one i would do an adjustable first to find your sweet spot then make a fixed one.

-Tim

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Is the 83% ridgeline (RL) length part of striving for a flat lay or is that number just a starting point for a consistent hang with the 30 degree angle, or are those two both the same?

What if the user likes having his head higher than his feet? In a conventional bed, I sleep better with my head on two pillows. In a hammock, I've been using a barely diagonal lay to keep my head higher. Haven't tried a RL yet, but I do count my steps when choosing trees.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

the ridgeline exists so you can hang the hammock with the exact same sag every time. It doesn't have anything to do with the 30DEG angle. The 83% is a number that seems to be about the right amount of sag for most people to enjoy a good flat diagonal lay. In my hammock i prefer head a little lower than foot, and again the ridgeline doesn't affect this at all, just hang one side higher than the other.

-Tim

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

The 83% is just a ball park (generated by some of the physicists over at HF) starting point to work from for you. Most folks find that if they play with the lenght of the ridge line they will find what works for them personally. It can also depend on the hammock a lot in how much sag to put in and I know a couple guys that are now hanging some styles with a ridge line of 50% or less. I also know a few that like their hammock drum tight and would be working with a ridge or 90 or higher.

The 83% is only a starting point, don't get to caught up in what the exact number is but focus on the comfort of the hammock. Like Tim mentioned an adjustable ridge line can help as you can make little adjustments to find where you get the most comfort for you in a particular hammock.

Suspension angle and tension DOES play into the ridge line's effect on hammock comfort. Having a ridge line dose not mean you can't over tension the suspension or under tension it. It only is there to assist as a guide in set up. You still have to apply the correct set up practices to the hammock suspension lines for the hammock to lay correctly. This comes with practice and experience not by set it till the ridge line is taught and forget the rest.

Most folks do find that setting your feel slightly higher helps to prevent your upper body from sliding "down hill" and leaving you scrunched up in the bottom of the hammock. It only takes a very slight angle to get your upper body to to be the lower center of gravity so you don't slide. If you still then like to have your head elevated there is a good place I know to get pillows made specifically for use in a hammock. :)

Good questions. :)

Christian Diepholz
    Spectator

@cdiephol

Locale: Western North Carolina

Sorry I hate to bring up an old post but I am splicing my Adjustable ridgeline out of Dyna Glide and I was wondering if this 83% is the original length of the dynaglide or the length after I have spliced it. I have looked on hammock forums for DIY ridgelines and cant find anything. I know its like a Whoppie Sling but I need to know what length to cut of the spool of Dyna Glide before I start Splicing. Also if you know any templets of videos showing me measurements that would be great.

Randy Smith

@papasmurf

Locale: Dream Hammock

Christian,
    The 83% of hammock length would be the finished length of the adjustable ridgeline.
    I would suggest:
    1. Build the adjustable bury portion first, leaving it on the spool.
    2. Make sure the adjustable end is "centered".
    3. Measure and mark your preferred "centered" distance.
    4. That mark becomes the end of your eye splice end.
    5. Add 6" and cut it.

Here's a rough drawing.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30805&d=1326225740

Christian Diepholz
    Spectator

@cdiephol

Locale: Western North Carolina

Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools