Topic

Traveling light in civilization

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Traveling light in civilization

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Eric Fredricksen
    BPL Member

@efredricksen

Locale: Silicon Valley

Agreed – I don't don't use a frame backpacking with around 15 lbs and I'll be under 5 according to my plan. I even have one of these bag which I've considered using, but I think I need room for food, etc that I pick up.

Mk VII gas mask bag

I would look good running through temples and ruins with it though.

T kawa

@kitsune

I currently use a framless day pack for travel. I was more wondering about durability issues, though the dyneema grid packs seem pretty durable, the only one I've seen in person is the go light peak.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

For travel packs — I prefer zippered ones with separate compartments. The one I use right now, I got at Target for $9. Good stitching and surprisingly robust material. Just 2 more weeks before my trip to southeast Asia. Yay…

Dyneema should be more than durable enough if you pack is small and stays with you all the time. However, if it's a bigger pack that needs to be checked in when flying — or one that gets thrown into the cargo holds of buses — then I will want something even more durable — like the 1000 denier cordura pack cloth that Eagle Creek travel packs use.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Ben: I totally agree with you about packs thrown into the belly of the beast buses in Asia, but then I'm up to a rolling pack of some size. The small packs I usually bring on the bus and hang under my seat or on my lap really a bookbag or double laptop size. The missing factor is room for stuff if you buy anything including carrying lunch or planning for heavier shopping.Basically I plan for a roller which will fit under a Z train seat in china and then one daypack which becomes camera et al bag but never gets checked down below or elsewhere.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Look before you leap into the void. My wife has been traveling to Malaysia and Singapore for over 20 years. We spent over a year in Beijing and our VISA ATM was the cheapest way to get money. So she goes to KL and other points for quick research-VISA will not honor any ATM requests out of Malaysia! Sorry if this in inconvenient. Well luckily old friends helped out , and she happened to find one rogue bank where the transaction went through, so don't rely on history and have a backup. I hate to resurrect the old zombies of traveler's checks but maybe some non electronic back-up besides cash should be at least looked into.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

I used sling packs extensively in China as could shift them to your front in train and bus stations or other crowded places. I did a double take the first time I saw someone wearing their backpack on their front body. Why? Thieves slice into your backpack with a razor after a slight jostle and feel within. It's no joke . A team of 3 guys in Suzhou had the lead man inching his way into my wife's purse in our hotel restaurant. I grabbed the guy's finger with my chopsticks and yelled" Let's call the cops." and they slid backwards out the door. Apologies followed. " Out of towners". Maybe or not.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ah… if it's always warm, then I can see wearing shorts most of the time, and having just one part of pants that comes out when you need to be "dressed up".

Pants that aren't too technical looking:

The original version of the Mountain Hardware Canyon pants were really nice and looked pretty normal. I know it's been changed at least twice. Don't know what the current version looks like. Might be good.

Previous years Royal Robbins Global Traveler looked pretty "normal". I don't know if it still good. or not, but it worth a look.

RailRider Backcountry Khackis are pretty decent, though the cut isn't as good on me as the above 2.

Patagonia Sol Pants looked pretty normal, though the fabic is a bit too shiny for my task.

I don't have a good suggestion for shirts…/ my favorite have been discontinued.

Travel Cameras

If the S95, LX5 don't do it, there are a number of fairly compact cameras which would be worth looking at. My current favorite is the Panasonic GF1 + 20/1.7 lens. But there are a number of other possibilities depending on your needs including Lecia X1, Sigma DP1/DP2, Samsung NX100, and the Ricoh GXR. Te not yet released Fuji X-100 looks interesting.

Misc Items

I understand the buy as you go first aid, though some of the more out of the way places I have been it would have been a challenge. I am too much of a boy scout not to bring at least a few items.

Pack strap as a drying line could work. I will also note that having a bit of rope is never a bad thing. Drying line, replace shoe lace or belt, etc.

Bags

As others have noted… frameless packs certainly can work for ultralight adventure travel. Several of the "travel bags" I have used were really just minimalist daypacks. The best I have seen, was made by TNF and sold only in Europe (I think). The zipper opening was against the back, making is harder for someone to open your pack while you were wearing it and it didn't seem to be overbuilt with lots of unneeded padding.

Personally, I like to live out of my luggage so I don't leave items behind accidentally. I also like using a shoulder bag for daytime activities because I can pull items out without taking it off. So I use a small backpack (right now a sherpani blaze which is just about perfect for me other than it doesn't lock) and have a Patagonia Ultralight satchel. At the beginning of the trip the satchel is typically packed in the backpack when going between places and comes out for day activities. Near the end of the trip when I am often bring things back for others both get used.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools