Topic

30% off Stoic gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 30% off Stoic gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

until October 7. Use coupon code 5C9-1-6DZVQ

The Somnus 30 degree bag looks pretty decent, though I'm not a fan of any zipper configuration that doesn't allow me to stick my feet out if I need to. I have their Breathe boxers and IMO you can't beat Power Dry for underwear.

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

FYI this looks like a pretty good deal…

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-ltwt-sleeping-pad-short

$35 with the coupon for a 12 oz self-inflated sleeping pad.

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

Is 20D nylon pretty thin material for a sleeping pad? Quick search shows BA uses 50D/70D. Otherwise looks like an awesome deal.

Edit: Aaron's link for the regular length below lists 50D bottom and 20D top, which seems more reasonable.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Any guess as to the R-Value? Presumably around 2, somewhere between 1.5 and 3. Only thing that makes me ask is that BC lists it as a 4-season pad…

What's even more interesting is their

LTWT Step sleeping pad. 74" x 20" and 23 oz. Not impressed? It's 2.5 inches thick. An ounce lighter than the Prolite Plus and an inch thicker. $53 after the 30% off coupon. It's also listed as 4-season, but I've an easier time believing that the LTWT Step is genuinely 4-season than the short LTWT linked to above.

Justin Carter
    BPL Member

@orangebananas

Locale: San Francisco East Bay

I got it when I bought something from SAC.

expires oct 7

5C9-2-YLTKC

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Backcountry.com is notorious for misprints in their stats. I'd bet quite a bit that's supposed to be listed as being 1.5" thick. I'm gonna "ask a gear expert" via IM and get back to ya'll on that.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Sounds good- let me know what they tell you! If the specs are real, I might try it out. It'd be good to know if it packs up like a Prolite Plus, or if it only rolls up full length.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Just a follow-up- I asked the questions on the product pages, and they answered today. It's also on SAC right now for $25.

Stoic LTWT – Short

I Asked:
    What is the R-Value of this pad? I am especially curious as it's listed as 4-season in the Recommended Use field of the specs… Thanks!

Someone Replied:
    R-Value of the Stoic LTWT Sleeping Pad – Short is 2.6. This pad should be classified as 3-season – not 4-season. If using in the snow, a closed-cell foam pad would be a highly recommended companion.

Stoic LTWT Step – Regular

I Asked:
    What is the R-Value if this pad? Is it really 2.5" thick as the specs say? If so, I'm definitely interested. Thanks!

Someone Replied:
    R-Value for Stoic LTWT Step Sleeping Pad – Regular is 2.9. Thickness of this pad is 1.5" at top end (top 2/3 of pad), and "STEPS" down to 1" thick at bottom end (bottom 1/3 of pad). If used alone, this pad is best suited for 3-season use. Paired with a closed-cell foam pad, the Stoic LTWT Step would be great for 4-season use as well.

Brad Walker

@brawa

I was going back and forth on the 30% coupon a few weeks ago, but picked up the "Step" when it was on SAC a few days ago…and saw the short on SAC earlier.

I was hoping that the "Step" would be closer to a prolite plus's R of 3.8 (instead of 2.9) for the same weight/thickness. What's surprising is that the 1" thick stoic is supposedly warmer than the regular prolite at the same thickness (2.6 v 2.2).

I don't understand a) how that happens, and b) the relationship between the 1" and 1.5" stoics. Shouldn't the R value on the 1.5" stoic be 1.5x that of the 1" stoic (give or take)?

I am glad that Backcountry finally answered those questions, but it's unfortunate there are no user reviews yet. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

@Brad Yes and no. Not sure if you read the full reply- the Step is 1.5" at some points, but tapers down in thickness to 1.0" towards the feet. I assumed that the lower R-Value of the Step was a function how much of the pad was 1.5" thick. If you assume the first 30% is 1.5" thick and the rest is 1.0" thick for sake of simple math, you get an average R-Value across the entire pad of 2.99. I might not be quite that simple, but I'd bet that accounts for a lot of it.

Brad Walker

@brawa

Aaron, your logic seems good enough to me. I had just assumed that they would base the R value off the thickest section to make the pad look as good as possible, but maybe they're being truthful :p I can post it on BC.com and find out (eventually).

On a related note, it's too bad there's only a 1 oz difference between the Prolite Plus and Stoic Step with the 1" thick footbed. Seems like a great idea, but I guess cutting out 1/3 of the foam in the (less wide) bottom 1/3 of the mattress really just doesn't cut out that much.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools