Topic

combo rain and sleep gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear combo rain and sleep gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

http://jakpak.com/home.aspx

(No. I have never seen one, just this ad)

David Ure

@familyguy

Another: Hilleberg Bivanorak.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
    Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Carol "Brawny" Wellman http://www.trailquest.net/BRindex.html used to make a silnylon rain anorak and pants that she also recommended as a vapor barrier. I got one of the last sets made (sold by AntiGravity Gear) and use it as my rain gear and over my base layer inside the sleeping bag when it's below freezing at night. 7.6 oz. for the two of them. Frankly, my body reacts the same to a non-breathable rain jacket as it does to Goretex, so I can't see bothering with the latter!

Mike Foster

@backtrack

Locale: Houston Burbs

I don't feel comfortable doing this. What happens if it's a few straight rainy days and my rain gear is my sleep gear or a part of my sleeping gear?

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

"What happens if it's a few straight rainy days and my rain gear is my sleep gear or a part of my sleeping gear?"

First of all, you can easily shake the moisture off silnylon rain gear (just shake it in the vestibule). Second, it's rare that it gets well below freezing at night unless the weather is clear. I think that for winter I'd want a separate vapor barrier, though.

Cameron Hall
    BPL Member

@wrangler88

Locale: North Texas

Even if its not all that practical or even if it doesn't work … the idea is very cool.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The catalog company Brigade Quartermaster once sold U.S Army ponchos of urethane coated ripstop and a BQ proprietary liner with quilted Thinsulate that snapped inside the poncho on the OEM poncho snaps. It had a special drawstring affair for closing the top and bottom.

Cal BQ and see if they still sell it. Remember, the poncho doesn't breathe and this is merely an expediant "sleeping bag" for warm weather. But it's better than no liner. (The Army Rangers used this setup but remember, their unofficial motto is, "Travel light, freeze at night." :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools