Topic

Heineken Pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Heineken Pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Hales

@wonderboy

I know this has been covered in detail on many sites, but all the info is a couple years old. Does anyone know of a good side cut can opener to take the top off the heineken can? I got one but it didn't work at all. It just ended up tearing the lid apart and i used a utility knife to finally get the top off. The pot will work but i wanted to try and make one that doesn't look so mangeled. I can't seem to find the ones have talked about. Any help would be great!

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

I just use a normal can opener, put it at an angle, and cut the top off. You usually have to go around it a few times to get it to come off, also apply different amounts of pressure. A side-cutter would work best, but I didnt feel like going out and finding one. I just fashion lids out of cat-food cans.

Kevin Ridge

@dblcorona

Locale: Southeast MI
    Stephen P

@spavlock

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

They have the same opener that Kevin listed on Amazon. May end up a few dollars cheaper depending on shipping. I think I got mine at walmart a while back. Just file the plastic down so it fits nicely on the top of the heini pot

Ryan Hales

@wonderboy

I haven't seen the two handled one, just the single handle.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Did I read somewhere that the Heineken can top seam has changed? I have a Good Cooks safety can opener and the lower guide would not allow me to get the cutter clamped on the seam. I took a grinder to the can opener, removing the raised plastic guide below the cutter wheel and beveled the edge a bit.

I also added some "earrings" to the top of the can in lieu of a wire bail, drilling two holes on each side and inserting split-ring key rings.

Heineken can with key ring bails

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Heineken Kegs…New shape?

An alternative to removing the entire cap is to use a score & tear method to cut out the centre of the cap, leaving the rolled edge in place to provide strength.

Rest a sharp-tipped craft knife on the rolled edge, and run the blade around the vertical wall of the cap, about 0.1" down from the top. Keep scoring gently until you've made a pretty deep score. Then carefully cut from the centre of the cap the the edge, and very carefully just cut up to the scoreline, taking care not to puncture the side of the can. Now you should be able to use the handle of a teaspoon to press the body of the cap into the can.

To make a lid, cut the entire cap off another can with a side-cutting can opener. Do this with contrlled pressure so the cutter only cuts the side wall of the can. The rolled edge and entire cap should come away in one piece.

(When I cut up red bull cans to make burners, I always remove the lid in this way, before using the can sidewall for the burner inner wall. So I have a box full of cut-off lids awaiting recyling. You might call it obsessive, but I'd like to think of it as 'practising'…)

Jarrod Handwerk

@pa_hiker

Locale: Orwigsburg PA

i use a can opener i got from wally world..
    not sure on the brand i paid around $10 it's black
    works great every time

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools