Topic

What’s the lightest option for delicious filtered water?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition What’s the lightest option for delicious filtered water?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

I currently carry a Hiker-Pro, and am not willing to give up the convenience or taste and appearance of filtered water. I definitely don't wanna go the floaty route.

What's the lightest it gets for filtered water?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I believe the Aquamira Frontier Pro is the lightest filtered water solution. I may be wrong.

Aquamira Frontier Pro filter

Many people use it, sometimes in conjunction with Aquamira drops, chlorine dioxide tablets, bleach, iodine, etc. It's not a pump style filter, rather it relies on gravity if used in an inline setup, or water can be filtered directly from the outlet through the bite valve. They're inexpensive and work for water that's not sediment riddled.

Tablets or drops used with a fine mesh strainer of some sort to remove debris is an even lighter option, but doesn't clear the taste of foul water like a pump will of course.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I use a cotton bandana for "filtering" and then MicroPur tablets. Sure…it isn't elegant but it works.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I use the Hiker Pro filter element, which fits inside a wide-mouth Nalgene cantene. As a gravity filter, it will do a liter in about 2-3 minutes, depending on water. I've got it rigged with quick connects so I can connect it directly to my water bladder's tube, as well as connecting a mouthpiece to it so I can drink right from the filter!

5 ounces.

Edit: Not the *lightest* but doesn't need chemical treatment like many people use with the Frontier Pro.

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

Travis, can I use my Hiker Pro's element to do the same thing?

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I like the hiker better than the frontier pro now because the hole in the frontier pro is small, and the water runs thourgh a bottle neck leading to more stoppages, i think the design of the hiker is better, from experience.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Matthew, as long as its the standard filter, then yes. There are a few threads on here with pictures…

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=28707&skip_to_post=239380#239380

I removed the black O-ring near the top and hacksawed off a section of the blue part. Be careful not to file it down too far, otherwise it can slip too far inside.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

P1010219

P1010226
    I use this system in conjunction with Aqua Mira. The Brass filter comes in at 0.3oz and the Aqua Mira comes in repackaged droppers at 1.1oz

Simple and easy and no Floaties!!!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

My lightest option for delicious water is to let Bryan carry the water filter. Mr. GearHead aka my husband Bryan insists on what is probably one of the heaviest filters on the market. He is obsessive about filtration. We have a deal… he carries the beast, a Katadyn Pocket, and I pump all the water. I like pumping water and it certainly lightens the pack for me… lol. I carry Pristine (ClO2) if I am on a trip without him and filter with a bandana.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I have a DIY solution using a Sawyer inline filter an old 2L+ platy (dirty) and my 70oz Platy hoser (clean). The filter itself weights in around 2.0oz.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=3420

Phyllis B

@phylb

I'm a newbie to the site, but have spent lots of time looking for the best – cheap, easy to make, most effective – survival packing items; one of them being a water filtering solution.

I stumbled onto a YouTube video by djbarryiii showing how to make a 1 micron filter from a bag filter for cleaning used cooking oil for biodiesel. It weighs in at around 1oz.

The filter bag is available on Amazon "1 micron Filter Bag" for $5.03. You can get 5 8" filters from the one bag.

Check out his video "Homemade ultralight one micron backpacking water filter".

With this filter, I use colloidal silver to kill any bacteria in the water.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Phyllis B

@phylb

Thanks. I didn't think to search for it before posting. I didn't see any reference to that type of filter in the responses in this thread and thought that Matthew might be interested in it.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

mine is, none

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools