Topic

First Ascent – BC-200 Jacket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) First Ascent – BC-200 Jacket?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Anyone have experience with the Eddie Bauer First Ascent BC-200 Jacket? Weight looks good – 11oz – and the waterproof/breathability numbers look great 20k/25k. eVent perhaps?

Link

Also like the fact that this comes in tall sizes. Would love to hear from someone with first hand experience.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I know we talked about this jacket a couple weeks ago, but I can't find the link. All I can say is it's not eVent, but the numbers are impressive.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

No experience whatsoever, but be wary of sellers' fantastic numbers — which one can assume are the results from the most favorable condition (e.g. when it's body temp and very sweaty inside but extremely cold and extremely dry outside).

The other — perhaps more important — thing to watch for is how quickly the maximum performance rate deteriorates over the range — when it gets progressively less cold and less dry outside.

There is no magic frabric here, but with direct venting technology like eVent, more effective "breathing" is maintained over a wider range of outside temp/humidity conditions — whereas the older Goretex and related technology that require an additional PU layer suffer much faster/steeper performance drops. Unfortunately, most manufacturers won't share their underperformance information.

If high breathability is important to you — then look at the newer wp/b technology from eVent and MontBell (Breeze Dry Tec).

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Definitely agree that the marketing does not always live up to real world usage. Would be interesting to know what the material on this jacket actually is…that is probably the best indicator of what performance might be like. I had high hopes it was perhaps eVent…

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Considering what I've seen so far from the new and improved EB+Whitaker collabo, I'm reservedly willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Up to this point they've been very conservative with their wt's, which is much against the trend I've seen of being very optimistic. They also seem to be pretty serious about putting out top quality kit.

That being said, rain-shells seem to be the most ubiquitous offenders of pipe-dream hype in the 'spec-wars', so, "Caveat emptor.".

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I've been looking for a new rain shell for the last month or so. Sounds like it isn't eVent, but the numbers are nice- as long as they translate into real performance.

I've a 20% off coupon that came in the last EB catalog, and decided to try out the BC-200. I'd love to get an eVent jacket, but can't justify the extra expense, and I don't fit in anything Montbell sells.

I've been pretty impressed with the First Ascent stuff I've purchased, though all of it has been off of the clearance rack. Not hard to impress getting this level of quality at recent clearance prices.

If anyone wants to use the coupon, it's good until 11/8/10, code HRHEPR12 online, 387 on the phone, or 4244 in stores.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

wasnt too impressed … no where as breathable as an event

and this coming from someone who bought 2 EB downlights and loves them …

IMO that jacket needs pitzips …. maybe field testing will show different … who knows

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Frankly, I don't think there's anything out there that is breathable as eVent. I very much doubt it'll breath like eVent, but it does seem a

IMHO, even eVent jackets would benefit from pitzips. Not as much as something like the Precip, but I've had more than a few buddies find jackets made of various Gore-Tex fabrics with a lot of venting options more comfortable than an eVent jacket with none. Differences in activity level and individual bodies a factor in this, I imagine.

I figure it's worth a try between EB's return policy, the price after 20% off, and the fact that the other FA stuff I've tried has a good fit for me. Not too athletic, but not too boxy/baggy.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

let us know how it works …. if it doesnt im sure EB will take care of you …

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Went on a week-long ski tour with a guy who had one last spring. First 2 days were rain/wet snow – he thought it was great, both for breathability and waterproofness. He's a tall, slim guy, so he liked the tall sizes.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have EB's 1st Ascent Downlight "Sweater" and it's quality is great. Will R. gave it a good review also.

I've tried on an EB BC-200 parka and liked the design. They advertise good breathability numbers, so at least they are willing to show test numbers, unlike, say, Marmot.

Yes, the parka could use pit zips but Seattle Fabrics sells 26" zips (cut 'sm down) for $5.75 each. Sew 'em in and seam seal them and you're all set.

Clayton Black
    BPL Member

@jivaro

I have a BC-100 that I use in the wet highlands of Ecuador and I completely trust it. I wear it on ascents of 14k to 15k and it breathes extremely well. I've used it in continual 6-7 hours of drizzling rain and it has kept my mid layer completely dry. It also works perfect as a shell and wind jacket. My BC-100 size L long weighs in at 15 oz so it isn't UL. But it is a fine piece of gear. My son used his on a Cotopaxi summit.

My only complaint would be the hood. It is made to fit over a helmet but without a helmet on I struggle to keep it out of my face with strong winds. I've thought of using a visor a la Skurka to solution that problem.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

I went for it and ordered one last night. They carry the BC-100 at my local EB, but not the BC-200- hoping the fit is similar. I've been pretty happy with the FA stuff I have.

@paul
    : Thanks! Funny how little talk there has been about this jacket here or anywhere else online. I'll have to write up a review.

@Clayton
    : I was all but settled on the BC-100, but had been holding out to see if any eVent parkas/pullovers showed up on sale or clearance. How well did the BC-100 breathe compare to other 2.5 layer PU laminates like the Precip in your opinion?

What a coincidence! After I give up on coming across some wild deal on an eVent jacket and buy the BC-200 last night, the Stoic Stash eVent jacket shows up on SAC in my size for 52% off. as I type this post. :P

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

After a few bumps, I received my BC-200 yesterday. I'm going to do a mini-review in a thread this week, but my initial impressions are very good. Quite light- the fit is a bit tighter around the lower-mid torso than the BC-100, but not enough to keep me from layering. I haven't done anything outside in it other than a bit of yard work in the new snow, but will do some lunch break hikes to work up some sweat and see how it deals with it.

It feels like it breathes better than the BC-100 and Precip, but at this point it's probably psychosomatic…

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Aaron,

Good stuff. Definitely looking forward to hearing your impressions of the jacket. It's still on my short list. Would love to know the size your bought and naturally the weight of it.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

I have an XXL Regular (non-Tall). Weight is 12.5 oz. Listed weight of the jacket is 10.6 oz, which is usually a Large for First Ascent specs, IIRC. For comparison's sake, the Precip, BC-100, and Cabela's Rainy River PacLite in XXL all weigh 17-18 oz.

I wish there was a way to figure out what kind of laminate it used. Field testing is the only real measure for us in the end, but the nerd in me wants to construct a bubble test rig and make some comparisons… :)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

bahhh … i just got an OR helium … not the best breather admittedly … but at 6oz it light enough for me to carry up the mountain and only wear it when needed ;)

Josh Christensen

@jpc44

Locale: NE

I ordered a Large Tall and got it in the mail last night. Mine tipped the kitchen scale at 11.55 oz. In terms of sizing, I'm 6'4ish 210 lbs. and wear a 16.5 by 36/37 shirt (if that helps to know…), which I though was long-armed but these sleeves come down just past my knuckles with my arms by my side. I guess 6'6" guys need jackets too. The fit is loose and easily layers over a puffy. I might consider going to EB to try on a regular large or even a medium (although I'd guess it'd be too small). Fist impressions…
    Pros: Construction looks good, welded seams waterproof zippers etc ascetically pleasing. Packs into hand pocket (although it doesn't appear to be designed to do this-no two-sided zipper)
    cons: a couple things I don't understand. One is the pockets are not mesh but another layer of the jacket's fabric. I guess you can put your hands in there without worrying about your sweat wetting them?? It seems to me that have ~20% of your jacket being double-layered is bad for breathability (opening the chest pocket won't aid in breathability either). Also, the hood is large for helmet etc. This is fine, you can cinch it and wear a hat for comfort but it is weird how they route the cord out of the jacket by your cheeks and then back in somewhere on the neck. Perhaps they don't want the cord/cincher rubbing your face but it leaves two holes in the jacket. If water gets in here that’s unacceptable. Of course EBs return policy is great so I'm not too worried about it. I’ll update once I get sweaty in it.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

To address/explain some of your concerns

*Long arms: Climbing brands always have longgg arms on their jackets. I have monkey arms for my height, and my Rab, Arc, and EB jackets all have sleeves that extend to my first knuckle. They do this so that when you reach up or forward (or any other motion a climber would see, but a backpacker likely would not), the sleeves still cover your wrists. It's really a benefit more than anything

*Rerouting of cords inside the jacket, as opposed to outside: Yeah EB exclusively do this. In highwinds, if that cord were on the outside, it would be a whip, with your face being on the receiving end. A lil bit inconvenient for traditional uses…

*Material backed pockets: I'm only speculating here, but I'd imagine it's just for weather proofness and to stop drafts. E.g. You can stand around where your hands in your pockets for extra warmth, without compromising your core's temperature.

A lot of their gear is great for lightweight backpacking, but in the end its all climber oriented. THey have a very strict High Speed/Low Drag approach to their gear, eliminating most things that hang off/or flap around on a jacket. Most of the times it works, and is likely to because of guide input during the design process. Other times it doesn't. EB, and not the guides, gets the final say in what goes in or comes out of the product. Could be cost cutting, efficiency in production etc. I've read testimonies from some guides who helped design the products, be unsatisfied about the way the final product came out.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools