Topic

Western US Fall Trip Suggestion

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Western US Fall Trip Suggestion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

Have some timeshare points I need to spend, and was thinking about doing a backpacking/fishing trip with 7 of my closest friends.

Looking for something in the Western US, and hopefully no longer than 7 days (backpacking included). We'd like to stay somewhere during some sort of event (music fest, concert, etc.) and then head outdoors later in the week.

Any suggestions? We aren't the most 'balling' of backpackers, so on the cheap would be nice.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I'd go to southern Utah. The Robbers Roost or Escalante, in particular. No cost other than gas and food.

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

Have been down south countless times, looking for something outside of UT if possible.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The normal season in the mountains is closing out. If you're ok with getting snowed on Yellowstone, the Bob Marshall, the Winds, or high Unitas all come to mind. The Sierras, too.

The Royal Arch route in the Grand Canyon is very nice in the fall, as is the Gila Wilderness in New Mexico. I've yet to backpack in Death Valley, but want to. No fish, though.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I've yet to backpack in Death Valley, but want to. No fish, though."

Death Valley has fish, but it is an endangered species (pupfish).

–B.G.–

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Hey Babak,

New Mexico is ideal in the fall if you're looking to do something soon, the days are cool (50's-70's) and sunny almost every day, evenings are crisp and chilly (20's-40's) depending on where you are in the state and at what elevation of course. Up high the Aspen leaves are turning their colors for fall, and snow usually hasn't accumulated yet so access at the higher elevations is usually available. Wheeler Peak Wilderness area and the Pecos Wilderness Area are both located in the Santa Fe/Taos region of northern New Mexico and there is always something going on in the fall being that it is the chile, harvest, and festival season as the days are cooler. Trailhead access is easy most anywhere, you can be up high for a few days and be back in town by evening with minimal driving.

Upcoming festivals and events:

Albuquerque Hopfest-2010

Albuquerque International Balloon Festival

Money goes far in New Mexico, no permits, bear canister nonsense, food is inexpensive, and you can still do things on the cheap if that's your goal.

Just a suggestion.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Everyone should see the Balloon Fiesta once in their lives.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools