Topic

Peanut butter lovers – what do you carry it in

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Peanut butter lovers – what do you carry it in

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Sherry Thoeny
    BPL Member

@thoeny

Locale: Arkansas

…an empty fish food container. They can be small. They are lightweight, and the ones I use have a screw on lid. I doubt they are water tight, but should work very well for peanut butter.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

I think it's fair to say that on the long trails that's what most people do. I think of peanut butter as a calorie dense food when working hard hiking, so as well as putting it on crackers and such I will get out a spoon and eat a spoonful or two when out on the trail. Thus I can utilize a smaller size jar in just a few days.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

I have tried most of the above options. I have had success rolling the PB out on a piece of wax paper and then rolling it up and then folding the ends over. Then into a Ziploc. This method works nicely because when you open it you can just scrape peanut butter off with a cracker, etc. Then the wax paper goes back in the Ziploc and into your stash of trash. If it's hot outside the wax paper can leak into the Ziploc which can be a bit messy.

Last trip I just bought 2 oz packets. A bit more money, but, I think I like that better. No leakage.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Trader Joe's Valencia peanut butter with roasted flaxseeds is really pretty decent. Though it requires refrigeration after opening it makes it for a few days in the pack. Gerry tubes are available from the generic camp supplier Coghlans as queeze tubee. I'm pretty sure REI handles these also.

Paul Donnelly

@facedrum

Rather than scraping the remains out, when you get to the end of the bag you might try resealing the zip, cutting off a corner and squeezing the rest out. It works for me at home with goopy-er stuff in bags. Also, bags for holding breast milk *might* be ideal for carrying peanut butter, but I've never tried it.

Paul

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Justins.

Also, I have some Army-issue peanut butter packets in the same size.

–B.G.–

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Ditto, jar it comes in on longer trips, with the caveat that I like to buy these at places like gas station mini-marts, as they sometimes carry smaller sized jars, i.e., a 12 oz rather than an 18 oz jar. I've noticed more often recently that even the gas stations are carrying the larger sizes now, so if you do get a smaller jar, consider cleaning it out and reusing it.

Related factors are how much peanut butter you eat, whether you're sharing food between 2 or more people, and how many days of food you're packing.

I miss the old 0.9 oz singles and the 9 oz squeeze tubes, I think these are hard if not impossible to find now (?), and the little single-use units for sale in stores now aren't very good for packing and generally the wrong size for me.

An alternative is to look for alternatives to peanut butter. Refried bean powder works well for me; while it's more on-trail fiddle factor, it's lighter, tasty, and provides the protein I'm looking for.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

As Nick Hazelton said, I've used refillable plastic squeeze tubes for peanut butter for the last 30 years. (Yes, Coughlan's has been selling them for that long.)

Nowadays I mix in jelly for instant PBJ. I also carry honey in the squeeze tubes but the "honey tube" also goes in a ZipLoc bag for double protection.

P.S. Be SURE to duct tape the slide-on end keeper so you don't find your food bag full of peanut butter or honey or ketchup, etc.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I like the Justin's peanut butter squeeze packs. These are conveniently sized and have enough peanut butter to make a small meal out of or at least spread out on over a dozen crackers. I found these searching for supplements to gels for long distance trail running. Justin's sells their peanut butter in ketchup sized packets, squeeze packets 1.15oz. (preferred), and 16oz jars.

Here's a list of their other flavors that come in the 1.15oz. squeeze packets: honey peanut butter, chocolate hazelnut, classic peanut butter, maple almond butter, honey almond butter, classic almond butter, and chocolate almond butter.

Justin's Peanut Butter Squeeze Pack

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I carry Justin's. Their plain PB is kind of bland, but the flavored is OK. Oly downside is they're organic, so my body doesn't get all the chemicals it grew up with.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Justin's also sells the smaller size as well (.5 ounce) – you can get the line from Minimus these days as well.
    http://www.minimus.biz/search.aspx?keyword=Justin

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I really like Scott's idea and it would work with freezer paper as well. I might have to try that out for our spreads. Like Tohru, I've been using the 4 oz Nalgene for butters.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

One packet of Justins, mixed with one packet of Gu.

–B.G.–

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Or PB and "Stinger" packets, which are honey.

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

These are great and there are other option besides Justin's.
    http://www.minimus.biz/Spreads.aspx

I carry this myself.It is a lot lighter, but mixing is required. I used it on trail bars, tortillas, ect.
    http://store.bellplantation.com/PB2-Powdered-Peanut-Butter-s/3.htm

For individual portions, check this out.
    http://store.bellplantation.com/Sample-Packs-of-PB2-and-Chocolate-PB2-s/5.htm

Regards,
    John

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

PB2 is good but realize it has a lot less fat than regular PB does.

Sunflower butter is quite good (PackitGourmet carries it, can't remember if Minimus does.)

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools