Topic

“Beefing Up” a FiveFingers for Off Trail Expeditions.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear “Beefing Up” a FiveFingers for Off Trail Expeditions.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    A
    BPL Member

@lurkinart

Locale: The Wild.

I am "Beefing Up" a FiveFingers for Off Trail Expeditions.

These will be 10 – 15 days in duration, with a pack weighing between 26 and 34 pounds, sometimes over rocky and muddy terrain, in a pair of FiveFingers TrekSport.

Here is what I have in mind:

Using foam from a 1/8 ThinLight Pad to cover 90% of the exterior, for abraison and impact resistance. Then, adding a purchased or homemade Ankle Brace to be sewn to the uppers for ankle support. I am also considering modifying a SuperFeet insole for added support, but not sure if that will detract from the function of the FiveFingers.

Six questions for you guys:

1. Would Mcnett Seam Grip be the best Adhesive for sticking the foam to the shoe exterior?

2. Would Foam from a ThinLight be the best material for the Exterior? It needs to be lightweight, durable, impact, and abraison resistant, and perhaps waterproof, as I'm guessing the ThinLight will be.

3. Thoughts on what Ankle Brace to use or on the Ankle Brace in general.

4. Thoughts on adding a Modified SuperFeet to fit into a FiveFingers?

5. Anything else that can improve this setup?

6. Any flaws you see in this setup?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Why bother? The product works or it doesn't. Without the right glues and materials I would expect them to self destruct— shoes take a lot of stress.

I appreciate what you are trying to do, but for all the time and trouble and the propensity for a mini-disaster, I would pick a strong, lightweight hiking shoe and have a good hike. Your five fingers will be there for trail hiking.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I agree with Dale. Adding ankle support to Fivefingers seems to suggest that they're the wrong tool, especially.

Thinlight is the least durable foam I've seen. It would get shredded in moments.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

IF you want ankle support (which i think is unnecessary) go for a light pair of boots, like the inov8 roclite's at 13.5 grams Roclite 390GTX, almost the same weight as the five fingers.

Or just go for the five fingers as they are, people do huge distances barefoot or in hurrachas

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I don't know about 'almost the same weight'. My KSO FiveFingers are 299g for a pair and my RocLite 390GTX's are 735g…150% heavier. The treks are likely heavier than the KSO's but they can't be anywhere near the 390's.

I wouldn't use FiveFingers for off-trail travel. Even on trail I have a hard enough time not stubbing my pinky toe every 5 minutes.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

6. Any flaws you see in this setup?

It's a bit like converting a Smartcar into a monster truck, which is cool in a ridiculous kind of way, but not the best means to an end.

Since you're actually trying to improve the abrasion resistance of the exterior with nonbreathable foam, you might as well make the switch to leather. Check out the Inov-8 Roclite 400 GTX.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Treksports are listed at 13oz a pair. Is that rocklite number per shoe?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Yes, Roclite is per shoe. I believe that's the standard way of doing it.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

"Thinlight is the least durable foam I've seen. It would get shredded in moments."

Agreed, it also loses its cushioning almost immediately if you compress it. I had some strapped to the outside of my pack for one day and it now has permanent strap marks.

One warning, if your feet aren't already strong, a long trip will hurt. I did a 3 day, 30 mile in a pair of FF KSOs and my feet hurt a lot. By the third day it was tolerable, but not comfortable by any means. I also found myself looking at the ground constantly so I didn't step on even small rocks, which can be very painful.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

These are pretty light 212gm

http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG1&L=27&P=5050973028

I've used them up to 20 miles in a day on rugged trails.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

The KSO Treks have more than sufficient front and bottom protection for a long hike –in my case anyway — much more than the KSO's. They really don't need any more top protection than the KSO's have already, IMO.

Walk around the neighborhood in them for several miles before you go.

Every foot on the planet requires a slightly different shoe configuration, however. For me the Inov8's have shoeboxes that are too small. They pinch my toes viciously.

I have never had a bit of trouble with the VFF's, however — certainly none of the ones described here. In fact, the VFF's solved all of my foot-related problems on the trail. I haven't even had a hot spot since I first put them on. I'd wear them to teach classes if I thought my students wouldn't laugh me right out of the classroom.

Stargazer

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Locale: Minnesota

Is this a joke? All of that defeats the whole purpose of wearing a minimalist shoe…

Colin Matthews
    BPL Member

@litebrite

I agree, this makes no sense to me at all.
    This is like buying a superlight, frameless pack and then adding a frame and bulky hip belt.
    You'd be much better off buying a product that is designed for what you need them to do. The Inov8's are a good example.

Colin Matthews
    BPL Member

@litebrite

In fact, you can go even lighter if you don't care about waterproofness:x-talon 240
    8.7 oz each, these are as light as it gets for a mid.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

No comment.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I think your idea will actually weaken the shoes.

If you really want to try this (and why not? Trying things is fun), I suggest you buy materials from a cobbler supply. You could get some soling sheets or boot soles. Or else, consider purchasing some cheap flip-flops and using the soles. Perhaps if you can find some very thin ones you could cut them to fit your VFFs.

For glue, you should use Barge cement. It is what cobblers use. It holds very well.

I'm not certain why you'd need ankle support so much as maybe protection from abrasion. Consider just wearing gaiters or long pants instead of affixing some kind of brace.

Good luck on your project.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Injinji socks and gaiters.
    I don't think that you would gain from anything else.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools