Topic

Oct Presi Traverse…whose brain can I pick?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Oct Presi Traverse…whose brain can I pick?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lou Kuhlmann

@louisk

Is there anyone who is a guru on the Presi Traverse? I'm relatively experienced but this will be a stretch.
    My questions include…1 day vs 2 days
    total length of time, ect. Can anyone help?

Spruce Goose

@sprucegoose

Locale: New England

I've done probably 10 traverses in the past 3 years. I think 4 of them were "official" winter traverses. I don't know if I'd say that I'm a guru, but…

In full winter conditions, doing it as an overnighter is "easier" because you can camp above treeline on the snow. If there's no snow cover, though (I think the official rule is 2 feet), you're not allowed to camp above treeline…and thus you have to lose a lot of elevation in order to find a decent place to camp.

So, in October, I'd say it's best to do it as a day hike…assuming you're in decent shape. Of course, it' all weather dependent up there. You've gotta be able to wait for a good weather window. If the weather sucks, even the most experienced will be hard-pressed to make it over the ridge in a day.

I'd estimate an October traverse would take about 12-14 hours to complete, for most people. You'd definitely want to bring Microspikes (or something similar), and probably crampons. It'll definitely be icy up there.

tommy d

@vinovampire

You may already be familiar with this resource, but if you're not, it's the summit weather station website. It's a great resource for planning trips in the Presidential Range. In addition to the current conditions and forecast, you can listen to the morning summit report, look at the monthly data from the past few years, web cams, etc.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/summit.php

Hope this helps!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools