Topic

Just got my Sewing Machine

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Just got my Sewing Machine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Johnny Gish
    Spectator

@jtgish

Locale: Colorado

Yesterday I went and bought a Pfaff Hobby 1016 ($139) from my local sewing shop(Denton Sewing Center). The shop owner sat down with me and showed me how to set everything up and taught me how to sew the basic stitches. This is the first time I’ve ever even seen a sewing machine in person.
    On my way home I stopped by the fabric store and bought 4yds of ripstop nylon(4.88/yd) and 4yds of regualar nylon(1.88/yd) for practice. I also got nice scissors and good thread metrosene and gutermans.
    When I got home I immediately printed out instructions on how to sew a stuff sack from thru-hiker. I spent about 2 hours working on the stuff sack including trying to watch Always Sunny in Philadelphia while sewing so really only an hour and I am almost done and it looks great. All that is left is to sew the buttonhole to run the cord through.
    Just wanted to share my first experience with making my own gear and using a sewing machine. I was very intimidated at first but I am gaining confidence and its only been one day.
    JT Gish

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Does your machine have a one-step button-holer, or 4-step?

A Pfaff for that cheap? Wow. Let me know how it stands up. Particularly to thick stuff.

Welcome to the world of sewing.

Dwight

Johnny Gish
    Spectator

@jtgish

Locale: Colorado

it has a four step button hole and I am having a problem with step 3. When I put it on setting c3 and hold reverse it does a zigzag stitch but the owners manual shows that it should do a straight stitch. Anyone with a Pfaff that knows what I might be doing wrong?
    1.Forward Stitch set on C 1
    2.Bartack set on C 4/2
    3.Reverse Stitch set on C 3
    4.Bartack set on C 4/2

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I can’t see where a straight stitch would come into a button hole. Its always a zigzag on all four parts. At least on my machine.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools