Topic

Winter camping=damp bag. Why?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Winter camping=damp bag. Why?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Travis, I've been using an Exped Downmat 9 for winter, R8. Works great!

Feet do sweat a ton regardless; I've found that it seems to be even worse when feet feel cold and I add more insulation. I can't cite sources, but I'm pretty confident the reason for the chilliness is evaporative heat loss. Add more warmth, create more sweat, increase evaporative heat loss. Seems to be what I experience, anyway. Even if you don't use vbl elsewhere in your system, I highly recommend vbl socks in cold weather.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I may try some VBL socks. I'll probably do some "free" experimenting with bread bags loosely rubberbanded around my feet. If that makes a noticeable difference, I'll probably swing for some real ones.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I use VBL socks as a key part of winter foot system. I'd be concerned about using them at night as well, a dry foot is a happy foot.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools