Topic

Chicago Region Trip?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

Hi All – I'm gonna take my lil bro out on his first trip in a few weeks. He lives in Chicago, and I'm going to have to pick him up, then take us to the trailhead. I was planning on taking him up to Chequamegon NF, but because of work schedules etc, we just don't have the time to make an 8 hour drive from Chicago to the trailhead.

So I'm looking for a good place that's within 6 hours drive of Chicago. Our plan is to get to the trailhead Friday, hike for a few hours, camp, Saturday full day hike, then Sunday hike for a few hours back to the trailhead.

Anyone got any good suggestions? I was looking at Nicolet NF and Manistee NF, but wasn't sure if I was looking at anything good. Wisconsin state forests want $10/day for parking plus camping fees (what?!?!).

And while I'm at it, what will the bugs be like in the first week of October?

Matt Mioduszewski
    BPL Member

@water-2

Locale: pacific nw

Sorry I can't be of more help, but being from the midwest and camping a lot (have you looked at Nordhouse Wilderness area on the Michigan side? Googlemaps gives it 5hrs–I'll post the gmaps link at the bottom. Though it could be 6 hrs depending on where in Chicago you're coming from.

As far as bugs, nada. Weather? I've camped out at Nordhouse in late october and it was early-winter conditions, cold, blustery, no people, frosty, most of the leaves off the trees. but very pretty! and we think a cougar or something followed our tracks at night when we came off a big dune and went to the lake and back. I've also been there in early-mid october and had total indian summer, incredibly leaves, pleasant at the beach. Even in summer the lake breezes can sometimes be beneficial enough to keep any bugs at bay.

It is a decent first backpacking trip, perhaps with 20 miles total of trail available, you can go as long or short as you like. Some of the big dunes right on the beach that are well wooded at their top have some primo camp spots.

cheers
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Chicago,+IL&daddr=Nordhouse+Dunes+Wilderness,+Free+Soil,+MI&hl=en&geocode=FbGUfgId_JDG-inty_TQPCwOiDEAwMAJrabgrw%3BFeDfoAIdRRLZ-ikPvF92wDwciDGSRF263MGLMw&mra=mrv&mrcr=0&sll=42.811522,-85.698853&sspn=3.038379,8.453979&ie=UTF8&z=8

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Thanks Matt!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

You could check out the southern portions of the Ice Age Trail. Since its not a finished trail, you'd have to check to see what portions are open, and what camping restrictions are.

Douglas Raymond

@dougr320

Locale: Indy

The Shawnee Natl frst in southern I'll is pretty. I was just there last weekend. Bald knob and garden of the gods wilderness areas are two of my favorite spots

Jason Teckam

@jasont

Locale: Upper Midwest

They have backpack shelters and about 30-ish miles of trail. You will cross some more developed areas, but it is a fun little hike and is along the ice age trail.

Not the most remote wilderness in the world but a nice hike with many hills and some good scenic overlooks. You might get some decent color that time of year too.

Bugs… maybe. It's been a crazy year here. I was down at that section a few weeks ago and did get hit pretty hard. You could get nice and cool no bugs, it could be warm(70+) with skeeters. Plan accordingly with either long sleeves / pants or bug spray.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/specific/kmn/camping.html

Have fun!

Jason

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Thanks for the additional spots everyone!

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Note: I haven't been to any of these yet, but is what I found when looking for some backpacking locations in my area for Scouts. My understanding is Forest Glen is the best newbie backpacker site near Chicago.

Argyle Lake State Park (IL)
    Big River State Forest (IL)
    Forest Glen Preserve (IL)
    Sand Ridge State Forest (IL)
    Shawnee National Forest (IL)
    Trail of Tears State Forest (IL)
    Yellow River State Forest (IA)
    Manistee National Forest – Nordhouse Dunes (MI)

You can locate these (with URLs) and all the others on my map.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools