Topic

Shining Rock Wilderness / Graveyard Fields NC

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Shining Rock Wilderness / Graveyard Fields NC

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

any advise on a good 2.5 day trip starting at the graveyard fields overlook? not looking to kill myself as I know there is a bunch of elevation but would like to get up into the views.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

I just spent 3 days up in Pisgah this last weekend–great scenery and the weather was just fantastic! In 2.5 days you could hike a lot of that Shining Rock area, even taking it slow. In 3 days I did Davidson River Campground to Pisgah Inn to the Art Loeb (and some side trips) and then back down to make a circle…but it was definitely a push with all of that up/down. I don't have a map with me, but PM me if you have any specific questions. I would just go up Graveyard Fields Ridge to the Art Loeb and then depending on your pace you'll have your pick of routes to take you back. You gotta love the views on the Art Loeb north of the Parkway, but the lower elevations up in that same area are some of the nicest in Pisgah IMO. Nice to get out of the sun sometimes too. Near where you are parking is Yellowstone Falls (on the Graveyard Ridge Trail–you might see some people there, but it's still beautiful). There's a great but cold campsite (on the Bridges Camp Trail)not very far from where you want to park too. Since it's next to the creek it got down in the high 30's Sat nite, which felt like the arctic after 90+ Atlanta days. Hot in the sun during the day though. Some of the less travelled areas in the Wilderness areas are pretty overgrown this time of year. PM me if you have any questions. I have some photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/camprini/sets/72157624780700783/

Have a great trip!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools