Topic

Event rain jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Event rain jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    M L Ziegler
    BPL Member

@mlztrek

I want my next rainjacket to have eVent fabric. I am seriously looking at: Integral D Thru hiker, Rab Drillium, Westcomb Specter Lt. I have found as I comparison shopped that many of the online stores have very limited sizes/colors (I need a med.) of each of these jackets. Does anyone know if Rab-Integral Designs (now one entity) is coming out with a new line and that is why there is limited number available? Why is Westcomb Specter hard to find here in the US? Any insight will be appreciated.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

they were a bit hard up here to find as well … vancouver that is …

anyways i dont use the specter but i do recommend westcomb … fit and stye are exactly like arcteryx … but the quality is much better … even my simple westcomb wool hoody is double stitched in all places and totally bomber

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

Hillside (on Broadway block east of MEC) has a wide selection of the specter LT, Valhalla pure does too. Full retail though.

I picked mine up during a sample sale for 60% off, should have bought other stuff too.. you could always go to where they're made, Westcomb itself in East Van off Clark and talk to them.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I never knew of the Westcomb Spector LT. Does the nylon lining effect the breathability of eVent? The jacket looks great at only 11 oz.

I own the REI Shukson at 18.5 oz and love the jacket. I don't have one complaint. However, I'm looking for a lighter one.

Montane is coming out with the Spektr in 2011 and it weighs in at 8 oz.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

I have an REI Shuksan as well, and also am very happy with it. I definitely find it to be more comfortable than my ArcTeryx GoreTex jacket, and it's also quite a bit lighter.

rexx john

@psychbeat

Locale: SF CA

I kind of hate not being able to try them all on
    so I just ended up with a 19$ set of driducks ;)

I like that the RAB comes in BLACK!

its a big purchase to go on faith sizing wise tho…

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Wild Things will be revealing their fall line up before to long. They will be sure to have Event jackets.

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Showers Pass (http://www.showerspass.com) makes eVent jackets. They're geared for cyclists, and they seem to have an Acteryx-like fit (slim body, long arms), though I am not certain that this is the case (Does anyone have an SP jacket? Is this the case?)

The only thing is, they don't come with hoods (cycling jacket, so you'd be wearing a cycling helmet), so that's why I've been holding off on purchasing one of my own for hiking purposes.

Incredibly stylish, though…

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

I have a Westcomb Spector LT coming. It should be here sometime this week. I'll post my thoughts when it arrives.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Chris, It's raining here in Seattle this morning and I rode into work wearing my Shower Pass Jacket. They do have long arms. You need it when reaching forward over the bars. Obviuosly they are long in the tail for catching water coming off the back tire. REI now carries Shower Pass jackets. You can try one on there. Shower Pass's eVent jacket is orange in color and does have an athletic fit with no hood.

M L Ziegler
    BPL Member

@mlztrek

Ed I would be very interested in reading your observations and comments once you receive your jacket. Thanks

Weiyi Wang
    Spectator

@wwyjedi

Locale: mid

Shameless advertising. :P
    I am selling one now.
    very nice 12 oz jacket.

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

John, Have you ever used your Showers Pass jacket for hiking? How about as an urban "around town" jacket? I know it's designed for cycling, but I am curious about it's potential for multi-purposing.

Also, I saw on their website that they have an optional hood that can be attached to the jacket by velcro. Do you have one? I wonder how effective it is…

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Westcomb is one of the original guys from Arcteryx that's why they look/fit the same.

Did you try ID directly. They fit small because they are unisex and they have new stuff coming out next season.(pull over)

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

No disrespect to the OP but has anyone seen an eVent jacket that has a long torso and arms and made for bigger people?

Weiyi Wang
    Spectator

@wwyjedi

Locale: mid

my rab momentum has a very long sleeve for me.
    size chart:
    http://us.rab.uk.com/size_chart/

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Chris,

Unfortunately I've never worn my Shower Pass jacket around town or hiking, simply because I have other jackets for that purpose. However, I don't see why it wouldn't serve as a multipurpose jacket around town, hiking or on a bike. I don't have a velcro hood for it……sorry.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The Integral Designs eVent rain parkas all have (or had) noisy fabric.

I like REI's eVent parkas for their features, reasonable prices and non-shiney, non-noisy fabrics.

Tyler Barcelli

@youngster

Locale: Southeast

To the OP, backcountry.com has some medium Westcomb Specters for sale in red if you are interested

Perry H
    BPL Member

@hphock

Locale: Midwest

I will admit, I got my first Shower Pass jacket about 18 months ago strickly for cycling and running in the rain while training for triathlons. Now, I use it all the time when cycling or hiking. I do not have a hood, as when hiking, I wear a wide brimmed hat that sheds the water, and the collar seals around my neck. 6 months ago, I got a second shower pass jacket (white) and a slightly larger (I got a large). If its cold out when hiking, I wear my insulation. Otherwise, now all I wear is a shower pass. No soft shell needed based on how the jacket vents. Its quite windproof for obv. reasons, so when the jacket is buttoned up, I stay warm. I do get a little warm with a pack on my back, but I just open the pit zips.

Its not as light as a Golight, but it serves many purposes in my life (more than for hiking).

Just my two cents!

Perry

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I recently purchased an eVent Packa. It's about 16 oz. The pack cover portion of it is silnylon. I like it so far, and will take it on a real trip soon.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Andy – I know it's heavy at a pound but you're going to love that jacket for backpacking. With a little practice you'll be able to put the pack cover on your pack and tuck in the jacket part to make it really easy to put on if it starts raining enough to wear the jacket. That's really handy on those days when the rain starts/stops frequently or just to keep your pack dry after the rain has stopped but you still have water dripping on you from the trees above.

The long rear coverage of The Packa is also really nice if you use chaps instead of rainpants…

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Kevin, I think you're right! I wore it as a windshell on a dry, cold, windy day on a hike with a backpack through my neighborhood (hunchback sightings and all). It worked well to block the wind some, and I never had any condensation on the inside of the jacket at all. I did the usual zipping and unzipping the front to vent for thermoregulation, of course.

Emma White

@whiteev

I have a rab demand event smock, weight is not too bad at 262g for the small.

Anonymous

+1 on the Rab Demand.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools