Topic

Peace Pilgrim: Minimalist Trekker for World Peace

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Peace Pilgrim: Minimalist Trekker for World Peace

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Interesting story. Thanks for sharing with us.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Thanks for the story Jeremy- I have enjoyed all of your articles on BPL.

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Locale: Southeastern Michigan

What a wonderful, inspirational story! I was born in 1952, but I had never heard of this woman. I knew about Grandma Gatewood, but not "Peace Pilgrim."

This is a very timely article, given the high unemployment rates, people losing all their possessions, and given the extreme overconsumption our country still engages in.

As a 99er, I've been thinking about the nomad life, because there's a good chance I, too, will be losing my house and car. I read Rita Goldman Gelman's book, "Tales of a Female Nomad." Peace Pilgrim reminded me a lot of Rita, who shares peace and goodwill with people all around the world.

Thanks for a great article!

Ken
    BPL Member

@scienceken

Locale: Western Oregon

I've read a copy of Peace Pilgrim's pamphlet (they are still available today, a quick google search should find the site honoring her legacy) and appreciate this telling of her story, since I was only aware of a few details. Very inspiring and thought provoking!

Kathy Hoffman

@basecampbound

Locale: Foothills of San Gabriel Mtns.

Absolutely beautiful and inspiring story. Thanks for sharing.

AM Martin

@snowbird

Thanks for the great story! A wonderful reminder of the existence of an ascetic saint in modern times. Her experiences are genuine, and mirror many of those of other saints and sages.
    I remember reading about her many years ago – for a period of time, she walked through California maintaining silence to promote world peace, always for peace.
    Thanks again for the story and the reminder to be peaceful.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Thank you very much for this one. Great life story .
    I too don't recall having ever heard of her, what an amazing person !
    Franco

Rebecca Cummings
    Spectator

@becky908

Locale: So. Cal

What a surprise to read about this woman. Why haven't I ever heard of her? Thank you for a wonderful story. It is a reminder that the most inspiring people are those who live their beliefs in word AND deed.

Kristin Tennessen
    BPL Member

@ktenness

Locale: Bay Area

In a male dominated activity, I especially love hearing tales about ultralight-moving women.

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Have to appreciate surrender to a calling. Passion.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools