Topic

Peaks of the Black Mountains (NC)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Peaks of the Black Mountains (NC)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

anyone done this trip? 31.3 miles from bowlens creek towards celo knob ending at pritchard creek…

want to do this in 3 days…usually hike 10-12 miles a day 2-3mph but this looks like some nice elevation.

Anyone have any recs? this is not set in stone. can you get water once you start up celo knob?

thanks in advance. trip will be end of october, so i'm thinking it will get around or just below 32 for the low at night.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Which trails exactly does this encompass?

Looking at the map I think you're talking about the Black Mountain Crest Trail down to Mt. Mitchell, and then from there I'm uncertain as to your path.. Are you finishing up with Heartbreak Ridge Trail/Star Gap? If so which route are you connecting through?

I hiked that a couple of weeks ago from the south end at Graphite up to the terminus at the BRP (and a couple miles up the BRP), and there's very little water until the bottom @ Graphite there. That being said, even with the ~3,000ft elevation change (and S to N is the uphill path), plus the 1-2miles on the BRP my dog and I made it in about 3.5 hours, with atleast one 10-15 min break.

Those trails combined are listed in the HToNC as strenuous however, and my average tends to be in the 14-16mpd on short trips.

The Black Mountain Crest trail is 12mi's with 3,500ft of elevation change, and described as strenuous also, but I haven't checked that out yet.

We're already having nights in the 40's, so it could swing either way, definitely count on freezing temps at elevation, and I'd be prepared for mid-20's personally JIC.

I'm not too familiar yet with alot of the area trails, as we just moved here, but we're about 20 mins from the southern section, and not much farther by car when the BRP is open. If you need any help with taxi, let me know.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Like Javan, I am not sure of where you plan to end, I haven't heard of Pritchard creek and I have hiked most of the trails up there.

There is a spring near the top just below Celo Knob, then water off the side at Deep Gap, water at the top of Mt. Mitchell and at the ranger station at Steppes Gap and then it depends on your route.

It will be most likely below freezing up on the ridge. It is a great ridge walk, one of the most strenuous trails in the southeast. This was taken in early August this year.

black mtn. crest

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

After looking at the map more I do see Pritchards creek at the Graphite trail head that Javan mentions. Looks more like 26 or 27 miles with the 2 mile or so BRP road walk between the Buncombe Horse trail and the Heartbreak ridge trail. Unless you have some other route planned.

One thing to remember is you cannot camp in the state park (except in the campground) or along the BRP so you will need to plan accordingly. May want to stay at Deep Gap the first night and then have a longer day the second day. That stretch from Bowlens creek across to Mt. Mitchell has a lot of straight up and down climbing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools