Topic

5 x 8 Flat tarp setups

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 5 x 8 Flat tarp setups

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kim Clements

@wrestling_dad

Locale: Ohio

I am a flat tarp user (Integral Designs 5 x 8) that doesn't use trekking poles. I thought I would post some different configurations I have used or are familiar with.

Please post picures of your setups.

Traditional a frame1a frame 2a frame 3a frame 4

Flying Pyramidflying pyramid 1flying pyramid 2flying pyramid 3flying pyramid 4

Half Pyramidhalf pyramid 1half pyramid 2half pyramid 3half pyramid 4

continued…

Jason Knecht

@distortedaxis

Locale: Earth

Didn’t realize how versatile this tarp was. I'm going to have to get it out and see if I can mimic some of these.

Kim Clements

@wrestling_dad

continued…

Lean-to longlean to long 1lean to long 3lean to long 4lean to long 2
    Lean to shortlean to short 1lean to short 2lean to short 3lean to short 4

Modified lean tomodified lean to 1modified lean to 2modified lean to 3modified lean to 4

Modified lean to longmodified lean to long 1

Kim Clements

@wrestling_dad

continued…

Modified Lean to longmodified lean to long 1modified lean to long 2modified lean to long 3modified lean to long 4

Lets see your tarp setups with or without poles!

Jang-Tian Shieh(Syoten)
    BPL Member

@syoten

Locale: Taiwan

My MLD monk tarp.
    It's a little narrower and longer.(4' X 8.5')
    mld monk tarp1

mld monk tarp2

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

same 8×5' size, can use the same pitches

modified pyramid

Photobucket

I like this one too (found it in Ryan's book)- modified a frame

Photobucket

Nick Truax
    BPL Member

@nicktruax

Locale: SW Montana

This thread is great and I thank you all.

Currently waiting for a flat 5×8 ID tarp and this is a very informative consolidation of pitches.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Wow, this is awesome. Thanks to all contributors. I use waking poles/sticks. I prefer the BD z poles in 110cm. I don't like telescoping poles! BD also make a somewhat adjustable version of the z pole. There is a 85 to 110cm and a 110-125cm. Any feelings on what stick height would be most useful/versatile with the ID Siltarp 1 or similar 5×8 tarp? I am thinking the longer length. Could I get a way with just the 110cm?

How much cord to you usually take? How many stakes? I realize that this depends on terrain, weather, etc. But say for an early september two week walk in the Alps or Pyrenees following a GR route OR perhaps, a two week walk of the JMT in early September.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I think you'll have to play around a little bit to find the best length for you. For myself, I found my fully lengthened pole to be best (140 iirc)- if the 110 isn't long enough, simply carry a short pole jack- the weight is small (you can even find them in carbon fiber)

I like to have the cord already attached w/ room for adjustment, again probably something you'll have to play with. Setting up my tarp multiple times in my yard was absolutely necessary imo to insure that everything worked well and to have the confidence that I could get a good pitch in the backcountry.

I carry 5 lightweight shepherd stakes and two beefier stakes that are used on the main guys.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools