Topic

stove board?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking stove board?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

just found a few paperback book sized sheets of 1/8 balsa wood in the basement and with a bit of ducttape fashioned them into a 2oz stovebard for my old styal XKG – is this a terrible idea, not sure of the properties of Balsa wood but was planning on covering the top with reflective heat resistant tape

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Robert, that is about what I was trying to do 30 years ago. The duct tape may scorch. The weight of all of those tapes may add up.

For really light weight, I used cardboard covered with aluminum foil and tiny pieces of duct tape. That works for a while. A piece of Masonite works pretty good, also.

It kind of depends on what you are trying to accomplish. For summer use, you probably don't really need any board underneath the burner, or a piece of aluminum foil at most. For winter snow, the Masonite works, but you only need about 6"x6", and then cover it with aluminum foil. Basically, that is just to keep the burner from melting its way down into the snow.

–B.G.–

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

thanks, the tape melted a little under a layer of tin foil. I think I'm going to cover the top in a layer of Al tape and call it good with the bottom windscreen – looking for something for when I'm camping in deep snow this winter.
    weight is 2oz with the ductape and foil and fold up to the size of a paperback

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

What is it that you are calling the bottom windscreen?

I don't know if your stove is exactly the same as mine (I've had about a half-dozen MSRs). The heavy foil piece that goes all the way around the cook pot is the windscreen, and its job is to keep most of the wind off, and to keep most of the heat close to the cook pot. The smaller circular piece with the circular hole in the center is a heat reflector, and it goes just below the cook pot support wires and just a little down on the burner. Its job is to keep most of the burner heat going up against the cook pot, and not going down into the ground or the snow or the Masonite. Without it, the stove is slightly less efficient, and it tends to either catch grass on fire or melt its way down into winter snow.

–B.G.–

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

sorry that should read heat reflector

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Yes, definitely a 'stove board'.
    I use a bit of thin 3-ply, well-varnished. Big enough to support the stove legs, but not much bigger. Weight: 45 g (1.59z). Lasts for years (due to the PU varnish).
    CookingInSnow5787

Cheers

Ole Saether
    BPL Member

@osaether

Locale: Norway

I use a small piece of 2mm thick plywood and use strips to secure the legs on my Omnifuel. Here is how it looked like when it was new:

Primus Omnifuel on plywood

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Ole, great stove board. Now I'd round off those corners a lot to prtotect other gear,stuffsacks and your pack.

I used to use a similar but much smaller board for my SVEA 123. It had aluinum tabs to hold the stovein place.

Now I use a commercial plastic "board" by MSR for my Dragonfly in winter camping (the only time I use the Dragonfly). It uses two elastic bands to secure the fuel bottle but I prefer your Velcro strap solution.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi folks,

My apologies for doing a "Lazarus" on this thread but I just stumbled across this thread and was wondering is this something folks normally carry when Winter camping.

I have never come across them before except on TV where folk where using them to cook in tents.

Cheers,

Stephen

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

When using my alcohol stove, I just make a platform with thumb-sized sticks laid side-by-side. I cover that with my usual 2-layer aluminum foil reflector.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Cheers Andy,

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

I usually just use a square of closed cell foam. I wrap the foam in duct tape. Yeah, you could melt the duct tape, but I've had very few problems. The only real problem was when I overprimed a stove and some fuel got into the foam. Had to replace that square.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools