Topic

Mounatin Harwear Transition Tights

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mounatin Harwear Transition Tights

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Locale: Northeast

Hi, Campmor has the Transition Tights on sale for $39.97. Does anyone have any experience using these Tights, in August or early September, in the Wind Rivers or Sierra’s? I normally wear an old pair of Patagonia Cool Weather Tights. Either choice will be my only layer for my legs. Both have a published weight of 8 oz. Might the TT’s be a bit warm? What do people think?
    Thanks,
    Paul

Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

This is weird as I was just searching the archives for information. I see the MH website shows that there is a new version. Anyone able to evaluate the differences?

Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Hi Kevin, I figured the TT’s were on their way out. Does anyone think they are worth $40.00?
    Thanks,
    Paul

Jerold Swan
    Spectator

@jswan

I have a pair that’s several years old. I don’t wear them all that much; they’re too warm for most Colorado conditions where I want a single layer.

Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Hi Jay, Thanks for your reply. For now, I’ll stick to my Cool Weather Tights. Cloudveil has the Peak Pants which I guess replaces the Prospector pants. The Peak Pants weight 10 oz. or so. What do others wear in summer and early September for a single layer on the legs?
    Thanks,
    Paul

Marcus Needham

@backpackinglightneedham-net

By single layer I assume you mean something that is sufficiently water resistant to obviate the need for rain pants, at least perhaps when used with a poncho? I am pleased with my REI Mistral Convertibles, which are Schoeller Dynamic zip-offs. I don’t think the convertibles are available right now, though they have the normal ones on clearance for $60. They are very stretchy, breathable, wind resistant, and tough. Regarding their water resistance I have not used them in pouring rain yet so really cannot offer a good opinion, but you can probably find general opinions on Dynamic around.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I got two pairs of the REI MIstral pants at the $60 sale price (the sale color is khaki). I wear them everywhere — to work, out in the yard, around the house. They are stretchy, comfortable, and have a trim fit. The only place I don’t wear them is hiking — I like shorts when it’s anywhere above about 20-F.

I do find that the Mistral pants take a while to dry if I get them really wet. I have read somehwere that the Spandex is the culprit. But these shed water reasonably well when I am out and about. I would still want rain pants in cold weather hiking, though.

Ken

Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Thanks Marcus and Ken!, I’ll look for the Mistral’s at REI. I will be wearing the pants with an ID Poncho in a lightweight system. Good choice these convertibles. I hike in shorts a lot. Thanks,
    Paul

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools