Topic

All-In-One Ti-Stake, Toothbrush, Spoon, Fork, ~5 Grams Each

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear All-In-One Ti-Stake, Toothbrush, Spoon, Fork, ~5 Grams Each

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

One 6 gram Ti stake adapted for long-handled toothbrush, spoon and fork. Other add-ons possible:

set

Here is a shot of the long-handled spoon. It’s next to the Light My Fire utensil I hacked up:

spoon

I like to use a real toothbrush, nothing like it, but obviously the weight of the handle is a minus, so this mod is a real boon for me:

toothbrush

Here is a shot of the tubing I used to adapt the stake to the add-ons:

tubinh

This shot shows the reducing tubing inside the coupling tubing:

inner

Specs:

Item Grams

Ti Stake 6.0
    Toothbrush 4.2
    Spoon 6.1
    Fork 5.1

All together less than one ounce. I normally don’t use the fork, so my kit is 16.3 grams for this multiuse item.

Usage

The handle coupled to an add-on is very rigid and easy to use. Inserting the stake into the adapter requires a firm force as well as for removal. This is good IMO because there is no chance for the two to separate when in use.

The long-handle option is awesome! The spoon combo weighs 12.1 grams compared to the 17 grams for the BPL ti long-handled spoon. The length is 6 in. for the stake and 4 in. for the spoon for 9 in. overall when the stake is inserted.

Materials

Coupling tubing 5/16 OD Poly (1 3/8 in. ea. add-on)

Add-On Inner tube 1/4 ID Poly (1/2 in. ea. add-on, AKA shim tubing)

Stake Inner tube 1/8 ID Vinyl (7/8 in. ea. add-on)

Design

Each type of add-on has a different inner tubing (or none at all) to shim it up to the ID of the coupling tubing, and at the other end of the coupling tubing always goes the same 7/8 in. piece of 1/8 in. ID vinyl tubing to adapt the stake.

Toothbrush Add-On:

1. Cut handle off toothbrush (I used a Colgate 360) leaving 3/4 in. long and uniform diameter stub to attach tubing.

2. Square off and with a razor blade cut a 1/2 in. piece off the 1/4 in. ID poly tubing. Run under very hot water to soften and then push onto the stub on the toothbrush. Go slow and try not to crimp or bend over the tubing, push on until flush at end.

3. Now take the 5/16 in. tubing and run under hot water until soft and push this over the shimmed stub of the toothbrush until flush with the front of the shim tubing. Use the same caution as before. With the razor blade trim flush the back end to 1 3/8 in.

4. Insert the 1/8 in. ID vinyl tubing into the coupling tubing until flush with the stub of the toothbrush. Trim flush with razor. See last pic above showing this.

DONE! Now insert your ti stake and test ‘er out. If the stake ever becomes loose you can just replace the small piece of 1/8 in. ID tubing.

Spoon/Fork Add-On:

1. For the Light My Fire combo cut the spoon or fork end off leaving 1/2 in. stub to attach to the coupling tubing. I used a Dremel with the Fiber Cut-Off wheel.

2. Cut down into the stub to make a 3/8 in. wide by 3/8 in. deep tab out of the stub. Carefully trim and shape the spoon/fork to smooth out any rough edges. I cut the top corners off the tab at 45 degrees to make it easier to attach the tubing.

3. Run under warm water the 5/16 in. poly tubing until soft and push onto the tab until flush with the utensil. No need for the shim 1/4 in. poly tubing on the fork or spoon. Caution again when pushing.

4. Trim to 1 3/8 in with razor.

5. Insert the 1/8 in. ID tubing into the coupling tubing until flush with utensil. Trim flush to end of coupling tubing.

DONE! Insert stake and dip into a zip lock enjoying clean knuckles.

Let me know what you think, especially if you have any other add-on ideas!

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Wow, thanks for posting this! I have a Light My Fire spork that broke in half. I was trying to think of something to do with it but couldn’t. Now you’ve got me smacking my forehead that this did not occur to me. You are creative. I’ve been working on a silicon finger toothbrush with real bristles, but I will definitely try your approach. It’s easier and possibly better.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Eric, thanks for the comments! Let me know if you make a kit like this and post your pictures on this post so I can see your take on it. Silicon toothbrush? You were digging deep…

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Just had of on of those “why didn’t I think of that” moments. Nice work. Have you thought of other attachments for it? Maybe a shaving razor attachment or something?

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Locale: Great Lakes

Well done. Thanks for sharing.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

I was not as ambitious as you and just made a toothbrush.

Tent Stake Toothbrush1
    The brush head from my Sonicare was ideal for this. The remaining handle is round and just slightly bigger than the diameter of the titanium nail stake. I hollowed out the end of the brush head so the point of the stake would fit into it.

Tent Stake Toothbrush
    The brush head is so light it doesn’t register on my scale. The stake weighs 17 grams.

Kevin Stephens

@kykevin

Locale: Land of Arches

I am hoping we dont use this stake for staking anything in the ground as well

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Innovative idea! My question is how rigid the final setup is. Does the tubing really offer enough resistence to use the knife/fork for cutting?

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Devin, I can't speak about the spoon or fork but my toothbrush has no rigidity problems and stays in place while in use.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Kevin, I use the titanium nail stake as a toothbrush handle, a spare tent stake, and also to make pilot holes in hard ground for my lighter stakes. I have no problem cleaning it and using it as a toothbrush handle afterward.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

That is pretty dang cool :-D

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Heck, I use my Ti-stake as a toothpick and ear wax remover. Excellant skewer for marmot ke-bab :-)>

Good one–Eric and Jhaura

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

I have, on occasion, had someone notice my pack and comment that I must be one of THOSE people who cuts the handle off their toothbrush. It's fun to say "you have no idea" and then show them my toothbrush. The reaction I get is a lot of fun. It's funny how the length of one's toothbrush handle has become a badge, of sorts, for membership in the fanatic fringe. Thanks again Jhaura for the inspiration!

Andrew :-)

@terra

Locale: Sydney, Australia.

Great idea,
    Be REAL careful not to get carried away with tooth brushing in case the end comes off (especially that sharpened stake – yikes). I don't know if the U/L first aid kit could handle a punctured face.

Yes this post is tongue-in-cheek (groan).

Once again, great idea.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I realise this thread is long dead, but I missed it back then and another thread on toothbrushes has mentioned it.

If you are worried about face puncturing, why not make it so that the toothbrush attaches to the other end of the stake? I don't see why that wouldn't work. At the same time, if you have no intentions of ever hammering the stake into the ground (rather just pushing it in), you could permanently attach the toothbrush to the end with some decent glue…?

I'd be tempted to have a shot at that but I also often end up hammering stakes from time to time myself.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools