Topic

If you had a weekend in the Southwest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports If you had a weekend in the Southwest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Since I'm newer to the game… If you wanted to hike in the Southwest in late October, and you could go anywhere that was within about a day out of Southern California (San Diego) Where would you go? (Need a good 3 day 2 night spot) Thinking maybe of Surprise Canyon / Panamint Valley in Death Valley… Somewhere beautiful, with water, where it's not likely to snow on me. Any ideas?

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Huh. Most of the stuff on my radar screen in that region are longer hikes on my life list.

Does the TRT get snow in October? I assume that it would.

I don't have much local knowledge- generally, I try to avoid SoCal. (Nothing personal…)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The TRT would not get any significant snow in October.

Now, we need to define "significant."

I have been snowed upon in every calendar month, somewhere in California. In September and October, there might be "early fall flurries" that don't amount to much. Maybe an inch below 10,000' and maybe a little more above 10,000'. Tahoe does not have much really high elevation. By the end of October, the flurries might last longer.

A few hikers could get all fouled up by an inch of snow. Most would not.

–B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Late October is a tough season to try to predict weather in Southern California. You mention Death Valley and its environs. There is one killer dayhike that you might consider. It is not for everybody.

Hike up Telescope Peak. Most people hike it via the normal trail from Mahogany Flat. If you are serious about it, hike it from Shorty's Well, which is down on the desert floor along the West Side Road. That means that you would be hiking up over 11,000 vertical feet in a day. The saving feature is an excellent cold water spring part of the way up.

It is normally pretty hot around the end of September (when I did it), and it is normally cool and snowy by early November (when I was up there last). You might see 3-foot sagebrush sticking up out of 1-foot snow drifts.

I am not aware that Death Valley N.P. has any backpacking permits, but I think there is an optional backpacker register. Dayhiking is completely wide open.

Did I say that it is not for everybody?

–B.G.–

Ronald Groth
    BPL Member

@rgfooter

Locale: Wisconsin

Try out Joshua Tree NP. I did a loop last spring starting and ending from black rock canyon campground. The loop went something like this. Blackrock canyon CG via Calf hiking and riding trail through smith water canyon (this is a off trail route but easy to follow) over towards the west enterance station to get water. Then followed the Boy Scout trail to Johny Lange Canyon (another off trail section) to the Calf hiking and riding trail back to the Black Canyon CG.

This loop has a nice variety of terrain and about 45 miles i think. There was actually a number of springs in the canyons so stashing water was not needed.
    Lots of good camping and no people in the off trail locations.

Joshua Tree is a 1/2 million acre wilderness area so there are alot of opportunites.

Another options is to hike the calf hiking and riding trail through the park. about 35 miles I think. This would require a shuttle and water stash.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

@ Dean
    "generally, I try to avoid SoCal"

I generally try to avoid doctors :)

A day out of San Diego would include So Sierras, Anza Borrego, San Jacintos, San Bernadinos, Mohave Desert, etc. Lots of choices. Biggest issue other than So Sierras will be water. That varies by year.

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Thanks Bob and others. I've hit up Joshua Tree before, and some of the others mentioned. I settled on doing the trans catalina trail on catalina island. Cool weather, sunsets over the beach, buffalo… and the occasional libation at the trails end. Thank you much! Should be a great trip. As a former heavy gear bloke turned convert, it's gonna be fun to shop us with my little pack, tarp, alcohol stove etc and show up the guys…….. maybe win some hearts and minds………….

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

@Nick-

Noted.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools