Topic

3 day couple’s summer gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 3 day couple’s summer gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    J Bailey
    Spectator

@jbaile38

Locale: Rocky Mountains

This is my first post, though I’ve read the forums for a while now. I usually travel in colorado, during the summer and with my girlfriend. Our first trip out saw me fresh from a winter outward bound class hefting 60+ pounds, her with 40. Since then I’ve worked long and hard at getting my pack weight down, mostly by reviewing articles and posts on this site. Would love some feedback on weight savings, safety and anything else. Again, the list is designed for a 3 day trip in Colorado Rockies during the height of summer.

My Worn Gear
    1 lb 10 3/4 oz Vasque Velocity Trail Runners
    1 3/4 oz Smartwool Mini Crew Socks
    13 1/4 oz REI Zip off Pants/Shorts
    4 oz Cool Max T-Shirt
    1 lb 1 oz EMS Alpinist Adj. Trk Poles
    2 oz Outdoor Research Sun Hat
    1/8 oz ARC Whistle
    2 1/8 oz Knife

My Extra Clothing
    1 3/4 oz Smartwool Mini Crew Socks
    7 2/5 oz Marmot Essence Rain Jacket
    9 7/8 oz REI Midweight Fleece Pullover
    1 7/8 oz REI Glove Liners
    5 oz REI Capilene Base Layer
    7/8 oz Lightweight Burton Wool Beanie
    1/2 oz XXS Granite Gr Airspace Bag
    10 oz crocs camp/river crossing shoes

My Other Gear
    2 lb 3 oz Vaude Arcanda 30 Pack
    9 oz Thermarest Z-lite cut down to size
    1 1/2 oz Petzl Tikka Headlamp
    3/8 oz Lithium AAA (3)
    5/8 oz Sunglasses
    3 1/2 oz Water Bladder + Drinking Hose

Her Worn Gear
    2 lb 13 1/2 oz Asolo Stynger GTX Boot
    2 5/8 oz Smartwool Hiking Socks
    13 3/8 oz REI Zip off Pants/Capris
    2 1/4 oz REI Cool Max Tank Top
    1 lb 1 oz EMS Alpinist Adj. Trk Poles
    2 1/4 oz Jog Bra
    3/4 oz Capilene Underwear
    2 oz Baseball Cap
    1/8 oz ARC Whistle
    3/4 oz Watch

Her Extra Clothing
    2 5/8 oz Smartwool Mini Crew Socks
    12 oz EMS Rain Jacket
    9 3/4 oz REI Midweight Fleece Pullover
    1 7/8 oz REI Glove Liners
    6 5/8 oz REI Capilene Base Layer
    7/8 oz Lightweight Burton Wool Beanie
    1/2 oz XXS Granite Gr Airspace Bag
    10 oz crocs camp/river crossing shoes

Her Other Gear
    2 lb 3 oz Vaude Arcanda 30 Pack
    9 oz Thermarest Z-lite cut down to size
    1 1/2 oz Petzl Tikka Headlamp
    3/8 oz Lithium AAA (3)
    5/8 oz Sunglasses
    3 1/2 oz Water Bladder + Drinking Hose

Combined Gear Shelter/Sleep
    1 lb 12 oz Custom Nunatak Backcountry Blanket
    4 1/2 oz Granite Gear Air Compressor
    2 lb 1 3/4 oz Tarptent Squall II w/ Floor, stakes, lines
    1 oz Outdoor Research Hydrolite Sack for Tent

Other Combined Gear
    3 1/8 oz Adventurelite First Aid .3
    2 oz Maps/Pages from guidebook
    3 oz Aqua Mira
    3 5/8 oz Snowpeak Stove
    4 7/8 oz Titanium Pot .9 Liter
    1/2 oz Foil for Lid/Screen
    7 oz Full 110 gram snowpeak fuel can
    1/2 oz Lexan Spoon (2)
    2 1/8 oz Ursalite Bear Hanging System
    1/8 oz Gallon Zip Lock for Garbage
    1/8 oz Matches, Lighter, Bag
    3/8 oz Sunscreen
    3/8 oz Bug Repellent
    3/8 oz Soap
    1/8 oz Toothbrush
    6 3/8 oz Digital Camera
    3/4 oz Lithium AA (2)

Consumables
    5 lb food (we don’t eat a lot)
    4 lb water (2 lbs each roughly)

We each pack our own gear, then split the combined gear sensibly and end up with the follwing:

My Skin Out Weight: 18 7/8 lb
    Her Skin out Weight: 17 7/9 lb

Was considering potential weight savings w/ clothing, trekking poles or stove. The “big three” are exactley what we want.

Be Well,
    Justin & Myriah

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Nice set up. Don’t really see any problems with what you have.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Good job on the list! I am having a hard time finding anything to comment on. I also hike in the Rockies. I assume the Granite Gear Air Compressor is for the Nunatak Backcountry Blanket. If I am right, I worry about the blanket getting wet, as that stuff sack is not water proof. I am sure you know about not overdoing the compressing of the blanket. You can loose some weight in your lighting depending on what you are doing. If you are not hiking in the dark Photon lights are adequate. I carry three. If you are always together one can keep the headlamp with the other using Photons. You know your trekking poles are heavy, and you could save weight using Esbit but the canister stove is sure convenient for two. You’ve done such I good job I am really scraping here.

J Bailey
    Spectator

@jbaile38

Eric,

We won’t be compressing the blanket as much as possible, but enough to get it into the packs. Prior to this blanket I have been using synthetic bags so I’m not as experienced with the materials as I should be. Like I said we aren’t squeezing it to death…but it’s definately smaller when I’m done w/ it. Is there a good rule of thumb for this?

And, the Vaude packs that we are using are close to 100% waterproof…as long as they aren’t submerged. They use a new seam sealing technology that won them a german design award earlier in the year.

http://www.prolitegear.com/vaude_aracanda_30.html

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Dang, I set myself up for that question :). It is so hard to say how much is too much. If you are having to use the compression straps then it may be too much. The good news is that down is more resilient than the synthetics you are used to. I let my down quilts fill whatever empty space there is in my pack. The less you stuff it the better. My pack is a GoLite Jam (2950 cu. in. or 48 L). The only reason I mentioned it was that compression sacks inspire people to see how small they can go. It sounds like you’ve resisted the temptation and are doing fine.

It is amazing how water gets into packs. It sounds like your pack may be better than most in this regard. Are there any reviews of your pack that talk about this? You could try packing up your pack and giving it the hose or shower test. A black plastic garbage bag weighs so little and has so many uses besides the peace of mind.

J Bailey
    Spectator

@jbaile38

Eric,

Here’s a review of the pack, the only one I can find. I’ve tested the pack in a similar manner as the reviwer and recieved absolutely no water in the pack…so I’m convinced. But your argument for the plastic bag is still somehow convincing.

Anyhow here it is

http://www.vaude.co.uk/pic/aracanda.jpg

Be Well,

Justin

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Justin, I read the review. Between the review and your tests, the pack sounds very waterproof. Let experience be your guide. I hope you will post a review of the pack at some point.

I don’t know how I missed it when I reviewed your list, but the compression sack can be replaced with something lighter.

I wish you the best on your outings,
    Eric

D P

@dpenney

I have the same pack. Haven’t had any issues with water getting in (yet), but will be giving the ultimate test in the next few weeks trecking through Nova Scotia. The only thing I’m not crazy about is the torso legnth. Vaude claims up to 6’4 with its adjustable system, but I find that the hipbelt rides a bit high on me (6’1) set at the longest setting. I’ve read this same comment with their other packs. Other than that, its a great, moderately priced pack that contructed very well. BTW – I put my down bag in a Sea to Summit eVent compression sack, as well as my clothing. Not the lightest compression bags out there, but there are times when its raining and you have to take something out of your bag…better safe than sorry!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools