Topic

drinking problem

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

It may seem like a silly question, but I am trying to find out a little about what people are drinking their hot drinks out of while on the trail. (mugs, cups, materials, capacities, etc.) If you know the weights and dont mind sharing them, that would be great too.
    Also, how important is insulation to you?
    Thanks a lot for responding.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I don't drink hot drinks all the time, but when I do I will drink out of what I have. Sometimes all I have is my pot. Sometimes I also have a bowl, which is just the bottom cut off a quart-sized yogurt container. Sometimes I travel in luxury and bring an insulated plastic coffee cup, the lightest one in the cupboard. I don't have weights for any of these items.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I use a 15-ounce margarine tub made out of plastic. I think it weighs about one-half ounce. It is my cup/bowl.

On winter trips, I take two of those and use one inside the other as a more insulated solution.

–B.G.–

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

I jge issue for me..

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I have a 550 ml pot which I fill with water and bring to a boil. After pouring half of it into the freezer bag with my dinner to rehydrate it, I put a tea bag into the pot. I then sip tea out of the pot while waiting for my dinner to rehydrate inside its cozy.

James Ennis

@jimennis

Locale: South

brent:
    I use a 500 ml soft-sided Nalgene bottle (2.38 oz with lid) for drinking hot liquids out of. I use this primarily for protein shakes, but it handles the hot stuff great. I have not had to use any kind of insulation with it.

Will Webster

@willweb

I use the top of my Caldera Cone caddy. I made a bubblewrap cozy for it; <0.1 oz.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Proudly toting the heaviest option by a longshot… I carry the GSI nForm Mug (without the bowl)

capacity 14oz
    weight 2.5oz
    with lid and neoprene cozy.

EDIT: I definitely want insulation/ lid for max warmth. I don't wanna hurry through my coffee.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

On my last hike I replaced this:
    http://www.rei.com/product/752844
    (Large) weighs 2 3/4 oz.

With this:
    http://www.rei.com/product/787278

Advantages to the Sea-to-Summit: packs smaller and had cup measurements along the inner side.
    weighs 2 3/8 oz.

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

I did a lot of experimentation and tried a lot of different bottles. I'm extremely happy with the solution I have now.

I got a wide-mouth, 12-oz. Kleen Kanteen water bottle with the loop top:

http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/wide/klean-kanteen-12oz-wide.html

And a collapsible beer can koozie:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170523817009&rvr_id=134650559452&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXF%3F&GUID=7c9c97941260a06c21279737fff8a8eb&itemid=170523817009&ff4=263602_263622

Weight is 5.8 ounces with the koozie. That is about an ounce more than my previous mug, but overall I save weight in my kit because this bottle is truly a multi-use solution:

1. Coffee/tea brewing: The MSR Mugmate filter can be (barely) stuffed into it; so that's how I brew coffee.

2. I prefer stainless steel, BPA-free mugs over plastic, which leaches all sorts of stuff (not just BPA) when hot water is applied. But double-walled stainless steel mugs/bottles are heavy (~10 oz.). This single-wall bottle with koozie is a much lighter solution.

3. Obviously, it's also a daytime water bottle. I like carrying it in a side pocket and being able to put drink mixes like Perpetuem in it.

4. Can use it as a water scooper to fill my Platypus bottle in streams. (I sterilize it with Aquamira drops afterwards.)

5. Greatest thing of all, it's just the best HOT WATER BOTTLE for my feet at night! I was able to leave several ounces of chemical hand/toe warmers behind. Those hand/toe warmers are expensive and I hate sending them to the landfill. Now I just brew tea for dinner, take a few sips and use the rest to warm my feet. This bottle is completely leakproof. The koozie keeps it warm for about 6 hours. If I additionally wrap it a hat or gloves, it is still somewhat warm when I wake up.

6. Surprise discovery, it's a safety mirror! The inside of the bottle is made of an extremely bright, mirror-like material. So I leave my standard safety mirror at home now. More weight saved.

– Elizabeth

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

My Snow Peak 700 mug. I have a homemade Reflectix cozy to keep my drink hot.

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

fosters can –

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I enjoy morning coffee and evening tea on most trips. Typically a 1st gen (1.3 oz) BPL Trappers mug.

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

Thanks to everyone who responded. timed out pretty well with the BPL coffee write-up.

It is interesting how many different types of kit people carry. These are some good ideas for super light coffee drinking and recycled containers. Elizabeth has me thinking about plastic now. I drank out of the Rei/aladdin insulated cup for years and just lashed it to my pack.
    I drink a lot of green tea or coffee when camping (and all the time)and usually carry a dedicated mug for that purpose.
    Because of job, kids, etc I only get a few good trips in a year. I do almost all of my hiking in the winter and have yet to carry a really light pack but I am in the process of trimming my load. I have yet to leave out some luxury items such as a real multi-tool, non dehydrated chicken foil packets and my boots before now were like tanks. Therefore, my idea of what is light is a little old school.
    This might fall into that category but for the last couple of years I have been making woodstoves out of stainless travel mugs. Some of them are pretty light, and others are probably not for the UL crowd. the weights range from around under 2oz to 4oz for the stove and 2 oz to 5 oz for the inner mug with top. Just trying to get an idea of the percentage of people who carry something dedicated to their love for the hot beverage and what kind of weight would be tolerable.
    They still seem to insulate plenty, but usually 15-20 minutes and Im finished with it anyway.
    here is a link to a test burn today. Would it be worth carrying a 3oz mug and a 3oz stove?

[video src="http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/cadyak/fire%20mug/?action=view&current=may2010001.mp4" /]

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I use a paper cup, sometimes doubled up with cardboard insulator and plastic top. It fits in my .7L cookset and I put my Soto stove inside the cup. Cheap, light, replaceable and the coffee or tea stays hot but I don't burn my lips.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools