Topic

New Cocoon Products this fall??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Cocoon Products this fall??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jeroen Wesselman

@jeroenman

Locale: Europe

Does anybody know if there will be new products added to the Cocoon line up.
    I would love to see the Hooded Cocoon PO used on the Arctic trek go into production. I thought there was some mentioning about a Cocoon balaclava as well.

Would love to hear some more news/specs or see some pictures of the Hooded Cocoon.

Thanks.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

They’re a’comin’. We’re looking at late November/early December delivery for all 2007 Cocoon goods.

There will be many new products, including the Hoody. We’ll have product specs and photos up on the site, hopefully by Labor Day.

Ryan

Jeroen Wesselman

@jeroenman

Hi Ryan, thanks for your reply. Are the regular products (the pants) still due for end of september or are they coming with the 2007 products?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

I think this whole batch is coming at once, including the existing p/o’s and pants. I was hoping to have it here by Sept but Pertex manufacturing has been backed up since they moved to Japan.

Jeroen Wesselman

@jeroenman

Bummer, I am sure it is worth the wait. Thanks for your reply, they say patience is a virtue (and it doesn’t weighs a gram)

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Point to images for specs/desc…

Enjoy for now!

2007 Cocoon Vest 6 oz Size L

2007 Cocoon Pullover 9 oz size L

2007 Cocoon Hoody 10 oz Size L

2007 Cocoon Jacket 11 oz size L WP/B Shell

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

niiiiiiccceeeee!!!!!

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Excellent! However, I’m not getting the specs or descriptions when I point at the images.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I’m not seeing them either. I looked at the source… and the desc. are in the alt tags. Alt tags only show up on rollover with Internet Explorer on Windows… I believe. They don’t show up on most other browsers. A better tag to use might be the title tag. Anyway… here are the specs… as grabbed from the source code:

2007 Cocoon Vest 6 oz Size L
    2007 Cocoon Pullover 9 oz size L
    2007 Cocoon Hoody 10 oz Size L
    2007 Cocoon Jacket 11 oz size L WP/B Shell

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Ryan, what is the yellow we are seeing on the inside of the two middle garments?

Ryan P. Murphy
    BPL Member

@rmurphy

Locale: Virginia

Hey ryan, any idea on pricing yet? The hooded jacket looks perfect for mild winter climbs. Oooh the excitement…..

Jeroen Wesselman

@jeroenman

Hello Ryan,

thanks for the excellent pictures of the very exciting new Cocoon products.
    Considering all the excitment Cocoon products create on the forums can you say anything on production quantities cause I think there will be a huge demand for those new ones. I would hate to miss out on one (the Hooded PO!).Will there be a pre purchase in the near future? I will be saving up!
    Thanks.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Pricing hasn’t been worked out yet for the 07 products because I haven’t received final quotes from the manufacturer. I’m going to do everything I can not to make any price increases for 07 over the 05/06 production runs, so there shouldn’t be any price increases over the existing pullover and pants, and the rest of the products will be priced on a similar scale.

I think we are planning to do a pre-purchase program, but to members only. Also, I think I’ll make the inventory only available to members initially. In previous production runs it has been open to the public and members who wanted product and were on vacation, etc., missed out, which was a huge bummer.

My goal with production quantities for 2007 is to make sure we have enough on hand for BPL.com members. I’m not interested in doing any mass market production for any Cocoon stuff.

Members can see a preview of the Cocoon Hoody here:

Cocoon Hoody Product Page (Draft)

Final weights aren’t up there, but the rest of the info is. The weight of the size L final prototype came in a 9.5 oz. Of course, this could go up by 10% depending on the nature of the materials batch we get for the production run.

Jeroen Wesselman

@jeroenman

Hello Ryan,

thanks again, you can definitly count me in for a Cocoon Hoody and Cocoon pants. I missed out on the last batch of pants so I really want one for my winter trip in December.
    I love the simplicity in design in the Hoody, not even a pocket, I like that. It’s hard to find such products nowadays. I was eying the Nunatak Shaka Plus but now I will go for the Cocoon Hoody (if I can get one that is). I will be on vacation in both September an October (two lightweight trips, one to Scottland and one to the Austrian Alps) so I hope I won’t miss the pre purchase!
    Thanks again for extra info and specs, I am sure the new Cocoon line will be a winner. Good luck with the final production. Jeroen

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

Hi,
    I was wondering how the cocoon Hoody stacks up against f.e. the Patagonia DAS Parka or the Patagonia Micropuff Jacket (w. hood)in terms of warmth? Thanks for any insights. I am moving to Chicago and am thinking about cold weather options both for hiking and hanging out in the city.
    Best,
    Sven

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Sven, I’ve got a patagonia micropuff pullover, no hood which weighs 10.7oz in size small. It is made of similar weight fabric, but I think it has a bit more insulation in it, because the cocoon p/o is only around 9.6. The DAS parka is definitely warmer as it has much more insulation than the micropuff. I think the cocoon p/o is just right, as my micropuff is just alittle to bulky. Just my 2c.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Any chance BPL would consider making a set of synthetic insulation sleeves to go with a vest? Like the Jacks R Better sleeves but not down and not green of course :)

Thanks.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Jhaura,

Check out this item

I am working on a pattern for something like this. A Hooded garment that can be a Vest with or without a Hood. With or without the Sleeves. I just finished the prototype for the Vest part and I am sitting here wearing it.

If it works out I will use some of my Dark Gray Pertex Quantum for the shell and Polarguard Delta or the new Climashield Combat as the insulation.

If you can sew “sort of” nothing is impossible.

Roland
    BPL Member

@robson

Ryan,
    is the sizing of the hooded cocoon the same as the “normal” coocoon?
    I just wonder, because I have a normal cocoon, and it is just too short in XL (I’m 6’3). Arms and all fits, but it is too short, that I just don’t feel comfortable with it and I don’t use it.
    Thanx
    Roland (Europe)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools