Topic

last min trip advise in southern ILL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips last min trip advise in southern ILL

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Douglas Raymond

@dougr320

Locale: Indy

Need some ideas for a last min overnight backpacking trip in southern ILL, Shawnee National Forest area. I've been to garden of the gods, but not sure if there will be water there since its been pretty dry. Also have thought about garden of the gods red cedar trail, but I just did that last spring. And sugestions for a fairly easy overnighter appreciated thanks.

-Doug

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

It's been a while since I've been in So. Ill (spent my summers in Pope County) but I was would say Bell Smith Springs is absolutely gorgeous. Burden Falls after a rain is spectacular. Not sure how many miles you're looking to go, and living in Pope County I never really backpacked, I just remember some of the more hidden areas.

Lusk Creek Wilderness Area (and salt peter cave nearby) is my favorite place. Bluffs similar to garden of the gods, but forested and hidden from view. Not sure how much the horses have ruined the Shawnee in the last ten years though…

Douglas Raymond

@dougr320

I ended up just doing the giant city red cedar loop as an overnighter. Was pretty nice. Not as senic as the eastern side of the forest but still nice.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Nice. Yeah, you're not going to get too many of the big views in Illinois during the summer; probably what makes Garden of the Gods so special.

I'm actually planning on doing a thru-bouldering-hike of the River to River in 2011. I always wanted to hike the trail, and since I started climbing, I found out that 5 of the best bouldering areas in So. Ill are right along the trail.

Douglas Raymond

@dougr320

I don't climb but have been wanting to thru hike to r2r trail for some time. Drop mean line if you ate looking for a hiking partner

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools