Topic

Bivy Sac & Belly Sleep?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Dane Fliedner
    Spectator

@dfliedner

Locale: Orange County, CA

I have never slept in a bivy sac before and was wondering if you can (comfortably) sleep on your stomach or side, or do you have to stay on your back only? If you sleep without your face up, will the bivy collect condensation on the inside? Thanks.

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

You can usually sleep comfortably on your side or stomach; it depends a lot on how tightly the bivy is cut. For example, I found the REI Minimalist to be snugger than the Integral Designs Salathe. While I could sleep on my side in the Minimalist, the Salathe was a little looser and easier in which to do that.

I’ve never had any problems with condensation sleeping on my side in the bivy. However, I’ve never slept in it that way when it was fully closed: there’s always been a fair amount of ventilation (especially with the Salathe.) Even in the rain, I’ve never closed it up completely since I use a small tarp, too.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools