Topic

wal mart sil nylon: $1.00/yard

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear wal mart sil nylon: $1.00/yard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Curtis,

No label just a $1.00 clearance green sticker. You may have to do some digging in their clearance section, but it’s worth it…

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

yeah, like he said….

Lots of their bargain bin fabrics are not labelled. Sometimes you’ll find something that is. They’re just on some generic bolts.

Just figured out that my chocolate brown stuff weighs 1.5 oz /yd. I thought it was 45″ wide, but its 60″. this stuff might have some potential.

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

You know, that Gatewood cape looks like a good project to tackle, if I can come up with a pattern from the dimensions they give. That and some paper models and a little trig.

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

I’ve been buying some other $1 waterproof nylon fabric from Walmart whenever I can find it. Not silnylon. Today I bought some, and every other time I’ve bought some, they have taped the price tag to the fabric. Today, before I could catch her, the woman PINNED the price tag through two layers of the fabric, ruining about two feet of it. I asked to her cut that part off and adjust the price, telling her she had just ruined some waterproof fabric.

I also picked up some very ugly nylon which is pumpkin orange with a thin black grid on it. Not sure if its ripstop, or just a decorative pattern. that ought to make a very ugly pack.

I’m finding I’m needing to practice a bit on things while I conceptualize how things go together.

dwight

Socal Hiker

@socalhiker

Did anybody get Silnlyon wider than 48 inches? I found about 10 yards, Grey color.

Any other colors?

thanks

Socal Hiker

@socalhiker

If you make a pattern for a cape, please share..

Curtis Ware
    BPL Member

@ware_curtis

Locale: Midwest

Lots of different nylon material at our local walmart(s). Any secrets identifying sil nylon vs other nylons?

Curt

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Its going to be thinner than all the others, translucent, with a ripstop grid, and grey. And waterproof.

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

you might want to check out the thread on the half-pyramid tent, or even tetrahedron tent.

Socal Hiker

@socalhiker

Could someone please confirm that the width of Silnylon available is 48 inches, rather than 60 inches?

thanks

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Just measured it. 50″.

That’s disappointing. Thought it was wider.

Socal Hiker

@socalhiker

Dwight, much appreciate.

I measured it in the store, was around 48 inches (approx).

Socal Hiker

@socalhiker

It will be very slippery on both sides, the color is light grey (atleast the batches that folks are finding). It will have a ripstop weave as small squares. It will be 48inches to 50 inches wide.

Hold it against a light (rooflights are fine in the store), it will appear translucent. No light will bleed in, (in otherwords uniformly translucent.

If not silnylon, you will be able to see light leaking in in regular patterns as you move the cloth around.

There are watertests that I have not figured out.

having

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

I just stretch the fabric across my mouth and try to blow through it. If my cheeks end up hurting, I deem it waterproof.

Sort of the Dizzy Gillespie approach to UL.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

It is much easier on your eardrums and more effective to suck in.

Once home, another method is to hold a piece
    tightly over the end of your hose and turn it up
    high. A few beads coming through is OK, streams
    are not (for a tarp).

Silnylon usually comes in 64-65″ widths for
    the 1.1 oz (1.35 oz. after silicone coating is
    added) kind. Narrower widths would be suspect
    until you have checked waterproofness and
    weight.

Justin Ling

@ling_jd

Locale: columbus ohio

For a total of 13.50, and thanks to this thread, I now own 9.5 yards of 65" 1.3 oz. silnylon!!! and 4 yards of DWR ripstop nylon that's even lighter. i'm so giddy! this should not be allowed.

yay for bpl

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

..just compare it to your Marmot Ion; should be identical. It would be convenient to just wear it into the store.. ;-)

peter kvamme

@karacolor

Locale: midwest

I just bought three yards of ripstop from walmart for $1/yd thinking there was no way it was silnylon because the cut edges are fraying. Might make a good windshirt, I thought.
    Then I got it home, and decided to test how water resistant it is. I draped some fabric over a pitcher and poured a cup or two of water into the fabric and none has dripped through in half an hour.
    It is about 65" wide, gray, ripstop… it doesnt seem quite as "crinkly" as silnylon typically seems to be, and the edges fray. Could this be silnylon, or could it be coated with something else? In case I would want to seam seal it, this would make a big differience. (p.s. They had five bolts of this stuff, with varrying amounts on each bolt. I will go back to buy more)
    $1/yd walmart fabric

peter kvamme

@karacolor

Locale: midwest

when i weighed the entire three yard piece of fabric, it was about 6.77oz. that means for one yard (by 65 inches) it would weigh aprox 2.25oz.
    is the fabric weight/yard for a square yard, which would make the weight for this piece about 1.25oz/yd (which i get by dividing 2.25 by 1.8 because of the width)?

Socal Hiker

@socalhiker

Need some more silnylon for various projects.

Should I go and look for it? Walmart stores are not very close to where I live/shop.

thanks

Neil Bender

@nebender

Peter,

1.25 oz/yd^2 is light for silnylon but it could be that is why it is a second at Walmart. Try triple washing a swatch in a strong detergent. If it is still water repellent (that is if you can't wash out a DWR (durable water repellent)), then it is probably a thinly coated silnylon. Some DWR's seem almost waterproof when they are new. Silnylon is also very static-happy and collects dust. Silnylon also won't let anything but silicone coatings like Silnet stick to it.

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

Found some (3 pieces 4yd, 5yd, 6yd) at Wally in northwest Indiana US Rt 30 and 41. Dunno the name of the town.

ed

Heather Pisani-Kristl

@p-k

Locale: San Diego

…but I bought all that was left (4 yds). Some lucky person bought the first 11 yards on the bolt. It's gray, extremely slippery, and doesn't fray easily, although I also saw the stuff that Peter bought. That looked and felt like coated polyester to me (very light — think of the lining for a dressy raincoat). The marking on the bolt I bought is "Promo Fabric by Oakhurst Textile, remnants of unknown fiber content and origin." SKU is 0 81797 86338 2 (why do I know this? Because they sent the cardboard core home with me, thus putting the onus on me to recycle it).

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Some green can be found at times. Most is grey/gray

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I got some fabric today that I'm pretty sure is grey sil although it appears to be of the 2 oz/sq yd variety (rough measurement). I'll get an exact weight later this week. This is also 60" wide. It fully passed the breathing and water tests. Same $1/yd and I got about 12.75 yards. I also picked up around 11 yards of grey water reppelent/breathable ripstop last week.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools