Topic

Polycryo ground sheet as a packliner?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Polycryo ground sheet as a packliner?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    rexx john

@psychbeat

Locale: SF CA

what do you guys/gals think of using one of these as a packliner?
    my bag etc will be in stuffsacks too.

anyone tried this?

rexx john

@psychbeat

sorry didnt see the other thread

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Why do you need a packliner at all?

–B.G.–

rexx john

@psychbeat

probably dont- just thinking the groundcloth
    could be added protection to pack contents if I
    slip on a stream crossing or get caught in the
    rain. I like the idea of using one as a poncho/packcover
    too.

my only insulators are down (sleeping bag n inner coat)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

You already stated that your bag, etc. were in stuff sacks?

How much water protection do you need? Or, to put it differently… are you going scuba diving with this gear?

–B.G.–

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I'm not sure why so many people think that stuff sacks are waterproof. Dump one into the bathtub for a minute and see what happens! Even if the fabric is waterproof and the seams are sealed, the drawstring closure lets all kinds of water in. A dry bag closure is needed to keep the water out.

I'm not sure how you would seal the edges of a polycro ground sheet to make a watertight container. If you could, it would be useless as a ground sheet. A pack liner is an enclosed watertight bag, not a sheet of plastic. Either trash compactor bags (if you can find any these days that are unscented–I haven't) or cut down contractor trash bags, both 2 mil plastic, make great pack liners. Twist the liner closed with a candy cane closure.

As others here have said, use either a pack liner or dry bags, not both. As long as you check occasionally for pin holes and patch them, one or the other is enough. Forget the stuff sacks. I use one small silnylon one to organize small stuff (don't want to be digging in the bottom of my pack in the dark for my toothbrush), and that's all.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I'm not sure why so many people think that stuff sacks are waterproof."

Who has claimed that stuff sacks are waterproof?

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'll best there is an origami method for making a container from a flat sheet.

The only problem is the dirty ground sheet on the way home. It would be a good backup method if nothing else. Points for outside the box multiple use thinking :)

Bill Brock
    BPL Member

@cabaj48

…unscented, durable, light, appropriate size, scent proof.
    I just noticed these last night while emptying the "trash". I am going to evaluate further tonight for packliner / stuffsack application.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

We used the Diaper Decor with our twins…Getting them out of diapers was as good as a pay raise!

I've also contemplated trying to use a Diaper Decor bag to fashion waders for stream crossings when the water doesn't get above the knee. They're tough, easily sized (just cut as long as you wish) and readily available.

I tried this technique with tall kitchen bags this past May and it ended in utter failure…
    Stream Crossing with Trash Bag Waders

I wasn't halfway across the stream before the trash bags ripped and water flooded in soaking my shoes and socks. It wasn't a bad thing…This was just a test, but it failed miserably. My feet dried out my Hardrocks in no time. I was experimenting to come up with a way to do stream crossings in Winter or early Spring and not get my feet soaked.

Obviously, they could be used as stuff sacks or pack liners when they're not on your legs for stream crossings (or at least up to the point where you used them as waders).

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

I used to use Reynolds oven bags over my shoes– much tougher, but they don't work for deep stream crossings, of course. Now I wear Vibram Five Fingers to hike and cross streams "nekked," or practically so. The Vibrams really stick to the wet rocks and dry out really fast.

I also arrange my polycryo ground cloth over everything in my BP. Not sure if it accomplishes anything, but it's one more layer of protection, and the danged thing is in the BP anyway.

Stargazer

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I've never tried using a polycro ground sheet as a pack liner. I'm not able to picture how it would work. You might be able to use it as a pack cover in a pinch if you have a way to securely fasten it. Actually, if you could make a poncho out of the polycro ground sheet, then it might work. Then you don't have to bring a poncho on a trip where you're really not expecting rain but you'll still have one if there's a freak rain storm. I think I want to try to make a polycro poncho now!

rexx john

@psychbeat

Yeah I was thinking about cutting a slit in it
    for possible emergency poncho duty and it could also
    supplement my bivy in a freak storm if I didnt have
    a tarp or other shelter. I think it would work fairly well
    like that especially if you had two sheets.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

What would you set your stuff on when loading or unloading it if your groundcloth is lining the pack? Is it all removed from and replaced in the pack as a discrete bundle? Be sure the tarp is above and outside the pack liner, if setting up in a storm.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

I like to use the super XL ziplock bags for a pack liner. It's not big enough to lin your entire pack but large enough to fit your puffy sleeping bag and clothing.

Since I'm using my pack as part of my sleeping pad I store all my misc unused gear in the ziplock bag wile I'm in camp. It's light, it's waterproof, and it's cheap.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I am not the most cautious person about but apart from using them on a sandy bottom I would highly discourage anyone from using plastic over shoes crossing water…

Bob
    "I'm not sure why so many people think that stuff sacks are waterproof."

Who has claimed that stuff sacks are waterproof?

maybe this comment suggested that….

"You already stated that your bag, etc. were in stuff sacks?

How much water protection do you need?"
    Franco

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools