Topic

Should I replace my 10y old Ridgerest?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Should I replace my 10y old Ridgerest?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Cooler weather will be here soon. I remember a outing very early last spring that got down to mid 30s (F). I was very cold and didn't sleep well.

10 year old Ridgerest CCF pad
    MB Down Hugger #3
    Long sleve poly shirt
    Micro flece pullover
    Colombia titanium pants
    Med weight smart wool socks
    Polartec Balaclava
    Microlight EC2 long underware
    Tarp pitched to the ground (flying diamond)

By past experience this sleeping rig should be good for 35F.

Is it possible for a CCF pad to ware out? Maybe this is my issue.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

If it's visually packed out/flattened it's due for a replacement. If not, not.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I've read of a newwer, thicker version of RidgeRest but when I went to Cadcade Designs' site I could only find the standard RidgeRest.
    ??

Rich, that's it, the thicker Ridge Rest Solar

Nobody You Know

@dirtbagliving

Locale: Colorado

I just bought a Ridge Rest today for my winter camping thing. I saw one that I almost bought, it's the Ridge Rest Solar. It alone has an R-Value of 3.5.

But the Ridge Rest I just bought is pretty thick.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/camp-and-comfort/ridge-rest-solar/product

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Yes its pretty smashed and it's not as ridged as a new one anymore. I guess I never considered the possibility of it going bad until those last few cold nites.

I can't fathom the number of hours I have sat/slept on the thing.

I remember those extra thick ones, but it was years ago when I saw them.

What's everyones favorite CCF pad? Those GG egg crate ones look OK but they look floppy and I need the pad for my pack frame, tube style.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

There was a model called the RidgeRest Deluxe a few years back. Seems to have been discontinued. Folks I knew with them liked them- thicker, more comfortable, and a higher R value. Didn't weigh much more either.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The new RidgeRest Solar is the RidgeRest Deluxe of old but with a shiny new reflective coating that supposedly makes it a wee bit warmer.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Holy crap! The regular Ridgerest solar weighs 1lb 3 oz! Is it coated with real silver? My current Ridgerest is 9oz.

I'll pass on that one. Those extra thick Ridgerest pads looked nice but it appears they are no longer made.

Maybe a good old Wally World blue mat is the way to go.

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Locale: Minnesota

Replace it.

I recently replaced my "squished" Z-rest with a Lunapad from Nunatak and I really like it so far.It is the same "thickness" as the Ridgerest Deluxe, but 12 oz instead of 19 oz. Best as i can tell, the R-Value should be about the same.

http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/accessories/lunapad.htm

Or, do a google search and you can still find the Deluxe for sale at various places.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Using a regular length Ridgerest may also be a significant improvement, unless you're pretty short, in which case you could early trim down the Ridgerest Solar.

Solar – Reg
    19 oz
    R = 3.5
    0.75" thick
    8.6×20 packed

Standard – Reg
    14 oz
    R = 2.6
    0.63 thick
    8×20 packed

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I luckily won a drawing for a complete Thermarest setup at a Sierra Club Outings Leaders course last year.

Thermarest Trail Pro
    Cover sheet
    Quilt that snaps on the cover sheet
    foam pillow

The Trail Pro is now my new winter mattress. If I REALLY need more I'll carry my RidgeRest but it's gotta be below zero for that.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

I finally got a chance to solve this pad issue. It was in the low 30's this weekend on the trail. I had the same gear as before only this time I brought an extra pad. I cut a Walmart blue pad down to 3/4 length. I took both pads, put the Ridgerest on top of the blue pad and slept roasty-toasty all night.

This solution, however, is 17-18 ounces, which I believe is getting in to the inflatable mat range of weight.

Ah, what to do? Maybe a brand new Ridgerest will do the trick. I really like CCF for its fail resistance.

Anyway, good to know it wasn't a problem with my bag, which would be a whole different and expensive issue.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

buy a new pad (yr choice) from REI … if it doesnt work for you return it …

most risk free way

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools