Topic

Filter for Platy Big Zip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Filter for Platy Big Zip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Robert Justice
    BPL Member

@rjustice7

Locale: Central Texas Hill Country

Greetings All,

I am pretty new to bpl and September 3rd I am heading out to the Gila National Forest with a friend and I own a Platypus Big Zip 3 Liter.

My question is about water filtration. Is there a filter that will hook right up to the big zip? Can I rig an Aqua Mira Pro Filter to it somehow? If not could I get by with pure tabs only? This may not be the right place to start this thread but it is a piece of gear I'm looking for.

Thanks so much for any feedback.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Sure, the Frontier Pro will hook right up to the end of the tube. I use a Frontier Pro with a 2L platy for all my filtration needs. I used it to drink directly from the bladder, but you could also use it as a gravity filter by popping off the bite valve. You just need to add a few drops of bleach to the water to kill the stuff that the Frontier pro doesn't filter out.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My friend uses the Sawyer inline filter with his Platy, which he fills with "dirty" water.

No need to add bleach as the Sawyer filters out everything but viruses…though, they do have a model for that.

Only possible issue is that the Sawyer filter does not have an active charcoal element to it, so it will not do anything to improve the taste of the water.

-Tony

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

+1 on Sawyer inline. After my last trip all my trip partners went and bought one. really no question in my mind. You could couple with a carbon filter for better tasting water if it's really that bad.

Robert Justice
    BPL Member

@rjustice7

I will definitely look into the Sawyer inline filter!

James- I was hoping for a set up like you have where you use the pro filter and some bleach but looking at the big zip the hose attaches in a different way then the other models and I'm not quite sure how I would set it up to work. Do you have any ideas?

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Tony Wong talked about using a carbon filter in conjunction with his sawyer in this thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=19412

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

where are you goin in the Gila?
    tabs work well in most places in the Gila. the problem is that you have one container, meaning that you would have to empty it, then add water and tabs and wait to drink. not a biggie for some people but with tabs i rotate 2 bottles and always have water ready to drink.
    in your case the filter would be the best. the water is pretty good in the gila, i've never had any problems finding good water, so bleach may not be necessary, and don't worry about the taste along the rivers, the water tastes great usually.

Robert Justice
    BPL Member

@rjustice7

Thanks everyone for the replies! I also feel stupid because a friend just pointed out to me that the Frontier Pro does have a place to connect a hose so now I get that set up!

Good to know about the water Ben. In the Gila we're planning to see the cliff dwellings, hit a hot spring, I believe a canyon of some sort, and there's about 50+ water crossings. We won't be too far from Silver City before we head on in.

Water filtration was my last concern and I thank y'all for putting me at ease there! This will be my first 4 night trip.

-Rob

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools