Topic

Help with converting sleeping bag into quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Help with converting sleeping bag into quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Evan Brodfuehrer

@burtonboarder84

Would anyone be interested in converting one of my down sleeping bags into a top quilt? I have either a mountain hardwear phantom 32 full zip bag or a sierra designs wicked light 45 down bag that is semi-rectangular. Not sure if you can convert the MH bag because its a mummy bag.

I do make my own silnylon tarps and shelters but have not done anything with a sleeping bag or down. So I don't want to ruin it. Let me know if you're interested and how much you want. Thanks!
    -Evan

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

I have done it a lot and can tell you it isn't hard. There is a MYOG article by Jay Ham about doing exactly this. I wish i could do it for you but that isn't possible.

If the bag is full zip it is really easy. As long as you don't expect it to look 100% perfect when it is done (wouldn't if i did it either)you can follow the article to make a very usable quilt.

Simplified instructions.

run a line of stitching along the zipper all the way done and back up the other side. This will hold in the down so you can cut out the zipper. After zipper is removed you just hem the edges.

Once the sides are done you just draw the line you want at the top and run a line of stitching on both sides of it so you can cut the hood off and all the down will stay put. Some down will come out as it gets stitched in but the main body of down will be trapped.

Just hem, or add a drawcord tube to the top and then go hiking.

-Tim

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

I have a FREE, old Sierra Designs down mummy bag that you could practice on. It could use a bath. Here is the deal, (1) reimburse me for the postage as soon as you receive it (2) when you are finished with the mods, keep it or give it away here or to a scout. Before you sew on it, shake the bag while holding it vertical to shift the down into the quilt portion. IIRC, holding the bag up to a strong direct light, like the sun, will allow you to see where the down is.
    email is
    jlongbothamAATTcybertrailsDDOOTTcom

Evan Brodfuehrer

@burtonboarder84

Thanks a lot for that helpful info, Tim. Joe, I send you a PM. That would be great!

Evan Brodfuehrer

@burtonboarder84

I had some other concerns as well. Is the weight savings really worth it? The two down bags I have are both half zip bags. Will they work? Finally, is a 20 degree quilt about the lowest temp you would want in a quilt? It seems anything colder than that you would need a regular bag? I do have an older Kelty 5 degree polyfil bag. Its actually not that heavy. and its a full zip bag, Has a hood though…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools