Topic

Proper trail runner choice for those using overboots?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Proper trail runner choice for those using overboots?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Kayler

@chriskayler

Locale: Outside

Hi all,

Thinking about the upcoming winter season. This winter I want to use some light overboots like the Forty Below Light Energy TR Overboots. They fit over trail runners and then you can snowshoe in them, etc. What I am wondering is … for those that have used this system (or if you just have some ideas, feel free to input) … did/do you just size up your normal 3 season shoe to accommodate winter socks, or did you pick a new shoe altogether? Sizing up the shoe seems simple and would certainly work, but there might be a significant way to decrease the weight your foot has to carry by going with much lighter shoes. Do you really need all the support and cushion for winter tasks like this? For example, if you use a New Balance 876 shoe for 3 season, at 12.3 oz per shoe … could you effectively switch to a minimal NB shoe like the New Balance 100, at ~7 oz per shoe?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

With the insulation of overboots you may not need new shoes at all. Switching to a vapor barrier sock and light insulated sock, plus the overboots, may keep your feet very warm.

My one hesitation with very minimalist shoes and snowshoes it that your snowshoe bindings might cause pressure points that, if used all day with a shoe that has minimal padding, might be uncomfortable. Key word here being might.

Christopher Kayler

@chriskayler

Hey David,

The only reason I would need new shoes is to size up for socks, not for warmth. I actually use RBH Insulated Vapor Barrier socks + a liner, and plan on using the 40 Below Simple Slippers when extra warmth is needed beneath the overboot. Good point on the padding needed for the snowshoes!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hey Christopher,
    Check out my review for the TR boots on BPL. They are one of the best things I have purchased for winter hiking. I don't size up my shoe, I use thin socks with vapour barrier. I use the same runners for summer and winter, which is great because I need only one set of trail runners that are used all year in all conditions.

I know 40 below wouldn't recommend it, but I have hiked all day without the use of snowshoes or crampons. I don't think its a good idea to do all the time as eventually you will damage the sole material, but if you find yourself in that situation, it no big deal.

Christopher Kayler

@chriskayler

Hi Steven,

Those are the exact overboots I'm thinking of purchasing :)

I think I'm going to go with some running flats for my shoes, instead of trail runners. I tried on the Brooks Green Silence and they fit my feet like slippers. They are extremely light at 6.9 oz, and I don't foresee the need for any tread on the bottom, as they won't be touching the snow anyways.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

You'll love the TR Oveboots. Changed my winter hiking style all together – no more trying to thaw out my boots in the mornings or in camp.

Logan K
    BPL Member

@logan

Locale: Florida

The Light Energy overboots are flat out awesome. I have been very comfortable even standing around camp for hours with just my rbh insulated vaporbarrier socks, my new balance trail runners, and my overboots – in deep snow in Maine in March (temps around 10, warming into 20's).

I have found them plenty warm so far and haven't really had to break out the rest of my system – thick wool sock over rbh, simple slippers, insulating foam liners under shoes, etc.

I haven't needed to size up my shoes because of the versatility of the 40 Below system. As an aside, Joel is wonderful to work with and will accomodate just about anything a customer wants or needs.

Did I mention highly reccomended?

Have fun,

Logan

Damien Tougas
    BPL Member

@dtougas

About the only thing you have to watch out for is stiffness of the shoe. If the shoe you normally use is too flexible, it may not work well with strapping on snowshoes or crampons. You will, as noted above, get pressure points in snowshoes, and not enough stability in crampons.

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

Are these closed cell neoprene overboots actually waterproof? I am thinking of when we are in wet snow.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> With the insulation of overboots you may not need new shoes at all.
    True, in my experience, but …

> your snowshoe bindings might cause pressure points that, if used all day with a
    > shoe that has minimal padding, might be uncomfortable. Key word here being might.
    but … having an extra pair of thick wool socks (and generous room in the shoes for them) can be really valuable to avoid this pressure problem. So upsize by half a size, whatever you wear.

I know on one trip I wore two pairs of Darn Tough Vermont boot socks and had no problems with pressure, while Sue wore just one pair and complained about the pressure and rubbing. Same shoes, same snowshoes.

It can actually be just the time to go with some GTX shoes if there is a chance you may not be wearing the overshoes al the time. Yes, GTX plus overshoes is overkill, but the extra flexibility is valuable.

I wouldn't use the VBL unless it was really cold. And I would not aim to keep my feet hot, or even really warm. Just comfortable is best to reduce sweating.

Cheers

Erich Langner

@eclassic

how far up does the gaiter part go up on the Forty Belows? from the pics i've seen they seem a bit short? im 6'4 so that might just be my perception. they look great though, only a bit heavier than regular gaiters.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I looked at the Forty Below Light Energy boots. OK if you're going to STAY on your snowshoes. But even with their "Get-A-Grip" strap-on cleats they are barely adequate to get back home should you break a snowshoe and be forced to posthole back. But if you're trail running on racing snowshoes then they will be fine. Sounds like your warm layer over the trail runners will be adequate in most cold conditions.

I have Neos with feltpack liners and a good shaped insole. Still a fairly light combo and much warmer than the 40 Below overboots & trail runners. I keep them in the car for winter emergencies. With their lugged soles they will stand up to a lot of miles.

Whatever you do take the advice of using a VBL to keep your insulation dry.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Erich, plenty of height. I'm about 6'3 and they go to just below my knee.

40B

I have the old sole on mine, apparently they have upgraded to something tougher. While not recommended, I have hiked all day with just the overboots. Probably not a good idea to do it all the time, but in a jam it is definitely doable.

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

For those not sizing up their trail runners in order to wear thicker socks – what temps are you comfortably using this system down to with just the overboots, VB, and thin sock? I want to use overboots and trail runners in the White Mountains of NH but assumed I would need to purchase a larger trail runner and wear thicker socks.

I want to be prepared for lows around -10 f just in case although when the forecast is for zero or less I usually change my plans because it's just too dam cold to have fun.

Patrick Young
    BPL Member

@lightingboy

Locale: Midwest

Forty Below Light Energy Shorty overboots are what I use.

http://www.40below.com/products_detail.php?ProductID=6

I have a pair of NB goretex trail runners my normal size with an Aspen Aerogel insole and a midweight wool sock inside these and OR Rocky Mt. High gaiter. This system lets me use my own gaiter with my trail shoe or with the overboot on.

Have taken it down to -18F day hiking and been very comfortable.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools