Topic

Sleeping Pad confusion – inflated “to the max” or not?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping Pad confusion – inflated “to the max” or not?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

OK – I am getting confused here.
    For "maximum insulation/warmth", should an sleeping pad be inflated as much as possible for maximum distance to the (cold) ground or quite the opposite because "air is a conductor of warm/cold", meaning more air in the pad = colder???
    Thanks,
    Sven

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I think the more important factor is insulation, especially with DAM's. If your pad is under inflated and you're compressing the insulation, then you'll probably be colder.

But, I haven't really noticed a difference with my DAM. As long as I'm not actually touching the ground, I can adjust the inflation to suit my comfort and still stay warm.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

My understanding is that in an air only mattress (Neoair???) the more air the higher the R value.

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

Air isn't the best insulator but none the less the larger the distance between the top and bottom of the sleeping pad, the slower the rate of heat conduction through the pad. Don't think of cold air as actually existing, there is no such thing as cold only heat.

Philip Maynard
    Spectator

@autoxfil

From personal experience and the science, I know that more air is warmer in my NeoAir.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools