Topic

Double Rainbow – tips

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Double Rainbow – tips

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

I'm playing around with my new TT Double Rainbow, and am wondering what people have to offer in terms of recommendations for:

1. maximizing the bathtub effect, getting the sides up and providing better protection.

2. setup order – lots of options, not a big deal, but my few attempts weren't as elegant as I would like

3. getting the floor to lay flat – there are standing wrinkles running length-wise on the floor (which means the width is not all it could be)

4. other usage tips and tricks?

thanks much…

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Is there any type of tieout or attachment point on the floor sides near the midpoint? If so, you could tie shock cord to that and run it to the vestibule stakes. I did that with my Scarp 2 and Hogback, although I had to add a grosgrain tieouts to the floor of the Hogback. You could also stake the floor directly there, but that's putting a pointy stake too close to delicate material.

Danny Wang

@gnawd87

I recently got my double rainbow and am also trying to perfect the pitch. One thing i learned though, in terms of set up order, is to stake one end down (or set up one trekking pole if you're doing the freestanding option) first. That way the whole tent isn't flopping around when you insert the pole. After, you get the pole in then stake down the other end (or set up the other trekking pole) and attach the corners. As for the getting the floor to lay flat, i don't think there's much you can do but try to stake it out wider (if you're using the trekking poles then you would need some kind of extender). I think there's always going to be a crease with the floor clipped up. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Andy, there is no attachment point at the middle.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

There should be clips on the side to raise the bathtub floor.

Setup order is not critical. Sometimes we put the pole in first, sometimes we stake the floor first.

To get the floor flat you need to first stake two adjacent corners tight, then stake the other two corners at as close to a right angle as you can to the first two corners. Try to pull the stakes out diagonal to the corners of the tent. This may require re-staking the first two corners after the second two are staked.

I put up lots of other usage tips and photos somewhere on this site, but darned if I can find it now. stuff like adding zipper pulls, adding some side tie-outs to stretch the floor for maximum width, extending the rain curtains, replacing the velcro tabs with toggles, removing the free-standing attachments as we don't need them, how to pitch it low for wind protection in a storm, etc….We have found that velcro is death to UL nano-see-um netting and so have purged out DR of all velcro. YMMV

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

Lynn – thanks, and if you find your list of tips, do post the link

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

I tried looking for the thread as well, couldn't find it.

If it makes you feel any better, I can never get the floor completely flat either.

Adding an extra tie-out on each side of the floor at the bottom of the bathtub would have helped immensely. I think Lynn mentioned she did that on her thread.

The loops that the tent pegs go through are really tight on mine, so I just don't stake it down all the way (3-4 inches out of ground) and slide the loop up or down along stock peg to change whether the floor is more bathtub or completely flat.

I'm no guru at setting the tent up, but it's pretty kickass tent regardless.

When breaking down, I just slide fabric off pole (pull/slide palm full of fabric towards me, push pole away). I'm sure you figured that part out.

Clint N.
    Spectator

@cnewitt

Locale: Utah
    Mike Sobr

@breeze

Locale: Southeaster

I have the 2010 version and there are only 2 clips to clip the floor up taller and they are located on the ends of the tent in the center. I figured there would be some on the sides of the tent also but can't see a way to do it without any clips there and wondered if they are missing or it's made that way. the website says the floor clips up for wind but seems to be only on the ends.

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

Mike, my DR is the same. Only clips at the ends.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools