Topic

add internal frame to pack? is this posible or a waste of time.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear add internal frame to pack? is this posible or a waste of time.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Amanda L

@astickfigure

so I have this idea that I could use the bag from my old kelty and sew in an internal frame for a super new light weight pack. is this crazy or not feasable? or worth investigating. I ve made/ alterred much of my gear however, I'm new to this whole ultralight thing. any coments are welcome thanks

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Your Kelty bag probably isn't that light due to the likely robust materials, but you could probably add a simple frame to it. Check out how Zpacks.com adds the carbon fibre rods/stays to their packs via simple sleeves. That's probably the easiest way.

http://zpacks.com/large_image.shtml?backpacks/options/blue_carbon_stays_l.jpg

Sieto van der Heide

@sieto

Locale: The Netherlands

I've experimented with my MLD Exodus and parts of the internal frame of an older Black Diamond Speed 40 pack. It just fits. This adds just under 200 grams, but easily transfers the load to the hips. I haven't tested it with a heavy load yet though.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I've only done some tinkering and testing around the house and never carried a converted pack… But I've added aluminum stays to a few frameless packs. How much support you need depends on the load you need to carry, but if the pack has a hipbelt the most important thing is to attach the stays to the hipbelt as well as you can.

You could also add a carbon fiber framesheet, with or without stays- I've seen a write-up here on someone who did just that.

That said, it'd probably be cheaper to buy a new or used second hand GoLite, ULA, or Granite Gear pack from someone here- probably would cost you less in time and materials.

Have fun!

Amanda L

@astickfigure

thanks everyone for your guidance. It helped me to sort through my options. I think I will go ahead and look into a used pack here.

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

Amanda, what type and size of pack are you looking for?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools