Topic

A black dot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique A black dot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

Why is there a black dot in the bottom right corner of the second ‘A’ in BACKPACKINGLIGHT at the top of this site ?

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

It’s a security camera. You weren’t supposed to notice.
    -Mark

ian wright

@ianwright

You mean people can see how boring my life is !? ?!? ?!? 1

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

No they collect the images of you looking at the site while you are work and sell it to your employers. It’s how they finance the site.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

If you possess the new prototype beryllium/cuben mouse you can click on it and it will take you to the real backpackinglight.com website.

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Locale: United Kingdom

I thought it was because black ink weighed less than red ink. They have tried to save a bit of weight in the title without anyone noticing. In the future all letters of the alphabet will save weight this way!!!!

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

Are you sure there is a black dot on the website? It could be your monitor ;O)

ian wright

@ianwright

Sounds like a conspiracy going on !

I’ve checked and it’s not my monitor.
    For weeks now (or even long before I came along) there is a one pixel black spot/dot/spy hole at the bottom righthand corner of the 2nd ‘A’ in BACKPACKING.

Can anyone else confirm that they can see it?

Of course it’s meaningless, but that makes me obsess/wonder even more !

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I hardly noticed at my normal setting of 1280×1024, but I do see it and more so at the 1024×768 settings. Increase your settings and forget about it.

If you want to obsess about a conspiracy, consider the Internet itself, of which we can thank Al Gore for inventing!!! hahaha
    WWW (as in World Wide Web) can be translated in a round-about way to be 666 (the mark of the devil); all languages have been converted into a single international language of ones and zeros. Not only that, everything transferred between banks now is electronic. Our varied international currencies has also been converted into a single currency of ones and zeros as well.
    The government is mandating (through Sarbanes-Oxley Act, Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act) healthcare and financial industries only allow access to their networks via TCP/IP which even though connections may be made through “secure” tunnels, the information can still be captured and potentially decrypted, therefore allowing the WWW ‘Big-Brother’ to find out everything about you. At least with a modem access, it can be unplugged and your closed network remains just that… closed..
    Lets not even get into the “Verichip” conspiracy. George Orwell’s “1984” was just a couple decades off.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

“Can anyone else confirm that they can see it?”

Yes, I do see it, and it bothers me too. Ryan, Alan, Carol, Will, Doug, anyone… ease our minds. Tell us about the dot.
    -Mark

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

I found 21 other websites on the net with a solitary black dot on one of the letters in the main graphic title. When you sort these letters out in the order that their respective websites were first created (Including this one) they spell out the phrase “Bill Gates is Watching You”.

Also, if you load the BPL graphic into some state of the art graphic editing software and zoom into the dot (It’s a micro dot), it contains the entire works of Shakespear. AMAZING!!! ;-)

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Confirmation.

ian wright

@ianwright

I’m still curious though ! !

ian wright

@ianwright

I just looked at the logo in Photoshop. Web graphics are low resolution so when I zoomed in it is just a black pixel. How dull. Maybe a little fault in the original file. I wish it was Shakespeare or a camera.

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Ian, yep the government is watching you. These pixel cameras are the latest thing.

They watched your cats birthday last Chrismas on line. They know everything!

ian wright

@ianwright

Now come on Mr Ashdown, or should that be Agent Ashdown. Was it a fluke that you mentioned my cat and his birthday AND christmas all in the same breath !?! My cats birthday IS actually christmas day !!!!!!!!!
    If that black dot IS A CAMERA then how come you are on the other end of it ?????

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Ian, thought that might make you freak out! Your mention of the pixel camera made me want to play with the idea.
    Well, I do know that your cat is fast approaching his sixth birthday. Cats are certainly great pets and much easier to look after than say …… goats!

Seriously though, I just searched the BPL site for any of your postings and extracted key data and then did a google search on that. It took me a few minutes over a cup of coffee and found your Virtual Tourist postings and mention of your cat and the story of how you came to own him. I just figured I’d add to the forum atmosphere over that PIXEL for a giggle.

So, no, i’m definately not watching you through some fantastical pixel camera.

Hmmm, Agent Ashdown, that does have a ring to it.

All the best.

Scott.

ian wright

@ianwright

I’m still laughing !!!

Agent Ashdown . . .
    sounds pretty good ! ! !

PS. the black dots still there.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools