Topic

Red River Gorge, KY; October

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Red River Gorge, KY; October

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

@trooper

Things still seem to be a little heavy for an October trip to the Red River Gorge in Kentucky. The trip will last from October 1st through the 11th, and because there will be considerable static time at camp, I want to ensure that I have enough warm clothes. I'm open to suggestions on what I can leave behind or swap. I'm not too excited about buying anything new, just working with what I have. Thanks for the help!

Kentucky in October

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I'm not familiar with all of those manufacturer model names. Do you have rain gear and a windshirt? Maybe separate out stuff on your person vs. in the pack.

* Add a pealess whistle and topo map. Instead of the tool and pocket chainsaw, I'd prefer to just have a single fixed blade around 4 inches. A #1 Mora in sheath is around 3 oz.

* Can you do anything to cut the weight of the backpack itself down?

* Eliminate one of the cooking containers.

* If you're going to be hanging around camp much, it sounds like you'll have plenty of time for a wood fire, or maybe to collect fuel for a wood stove.

Jacob Smith
    BPL Member

@wrongturn

Locale: The Soda

While I carry a S&W642 often when I hike, I'd at least leave the spare mag at home for the G27. The chances of you needing a spare mag are minuscule.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

"…I'd at least leave the spare mag at home for the G27. The chances of you needing a spare mag are minuscule."

@ Jacob:
    You must not have had the experience of being down at Red River Gorge during the Fall (a.k.a. "harvest"). It can be quite an adventure :)

@OP: What are you using for footwear? Will you be bushwhacking or staying on trail?

The RRG is such a special place:fall1rrg

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Were down at the Motherload in the Gorge a few years ago climbing, got out real late only to meet a bunch of local friends on their way in to find us. Turns out there's a "hanging tree" there which sees some frequent use by drug runners in the area, about two weeks before hand someone was eviscerated and hanged there.
    Personal even w/o all the hunters there in the Fall sometimes I think a handgun or two might not be a bad idea there. Still never carry one, dont own one, and with some notable exceptions I often wonder why anyone would. Still the George can be a bit of a sketchy place sometimes. ugh.

I noticed no down jacket – MtBell Alpine Light Hoody would be nice to have in Oct

@trooper

Andy,

I've got a Fox 40 whistle that I'll throw in. The raingear is the Arc'Teryx Alpha.

Aaron,

I'll probably have Merrell Chameleons for footwear, and the plan is to stay on the trail about half the time. I didn't include them, because I usually don't tally up the clothes to be worn. Everything in my pockets gets counted though.

Robert,

Here is the news article from last year:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/26/national/main5343131.shtml

I don't have a down jacket yet-that will be a Christmas present for next year…

@trooper

Red River Gorge Gear List

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

The Gorge has been improving the past few years, and with October being the most popular month, feeling safe is rarely an issue. Im doing 18 miles there this weekend as long as the weather holds out. What trails are you planning?

@trooper

I'm not too concerned about other people at the Gorge, but I do have some fears about leaving anything in the car. My hiking partner is making the trail plan, but it will likely be the rough Trail and spending most of the week in the Clifty Wilderness.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools