Topic

Help with quilt fabric choice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Help with quilt fabric choice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

I am planning to make a down quilt for around 25 degrees F (-5C). I will most probably buy the thru-hiker kit (with momentum) but am considering whether to add a more water repellent strip to the base of the outer shell (around 10" wide) to limit problems with picking up condensation and rain spatter. I have some 1.8oz ripstop Epic Malibou polyester from owfinc so I would appreciate any comments on the suitability of the Epic to do the job. Having read through many of the posts on the performance of Epic I remain confused.

The Epic fabric appears to have one side somewhat shinier than the other. Which side should face out?

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Shiny side inside.

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

Thanks David.

Does anybody know why there is a shiny side? Normally it reflects either colandering of the fabric or a coating but Epic has the treatment encapsulated in the fibres rather than a surface treatment.

Philip Trivitt

@ptriv

The shiny side is called "calendering" it's a finishing process where they roll the material between several pairs of heated rollers, to give a shiny surface. This helps make some fabrics downproof.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools