Topic

Mountainfitter Cuben Fiber Drybags Instock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Mountainfitter Cuben Fiber Drybags Instock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

Just ordered the set! I can't wait to see your workmanship, I hope to be impressed!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"what's the best way to figure out what size drybag I should get for my GoLite Ultralite quilt?"

With cuben roll top sacks it's best to side on the large side because you can always roll them down to the desired volume and the weight difference is only a few grams. If you got a bit too small it can be really annoying to stuff the quilt in.

I've got the 2009 GoLite Ultra 20 Quilt which is very similar to the current Ultralite 3+ Season quilt. I use a 10L Granite Gear 'Uberlight CTF3' drysack for mine. I had a smaller one (7L) and it worked but it was frustrating to stuff since it barely fit in. With a larger bag you can get more rolls in the top and thus a more secure seal.

I just measured my '10L' sack and when laying flat it's roughly 9.5" wide and 16" long. Lawson's 2nd largest bag is claimed at 10" x 15" and there is actually a few more inches of length that claimed to allow for rolling, so I think the second largest size is the way to go.

Jason Knecht

@distortedaxis

Locale: Earth

Just ordered a set — I missed out last time. Looking froward to getting them.

Laurie Gibson
    BPL Member

@lagibson

Locale: Northeast

PM sent with measurements for GG Gorilla (M) and ULA Circuit (M and L).

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

I just ordered a set too.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Thanks for the business : ) I hope you all find the drybags to your liking.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I have a few pack-liners in stock. Before I build more I want to make sure the sizes work with alot of packs. I have a 30L which measures 16.5"x26" and a 50L which measures 18"x34" (sizes are measured flat after rolling 5 times)

The 30 liter has a circumference of 33" and will work with most smaller backpacks and daybacks. The 50 liter has a circumference of 38" and will work with most 40-60L packs.

All packs are different, so please measure your backpacks circumference to make sure the sizes will work with your pack.

Once I get some feedback on the sizes I will finish off my sizing list and do a bigger manufacturing run which I will offer at a sale. I also plan offer a larger size which will work with 60-90L packs.

If you have any questions, concerns or ideas please feel free to let me know

Thanks,
    Lawson

http://www.mountainfitter.com

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

Just received my large cuben dry bag in the mail. Looks to be great quality. Can't wait to try it out!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Dawson- probably a dumb question, but do the pack liners also have a roll top?

thanks

Mike

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

No question is dumb.

The packliners have a roll top just like my dry bags. I recommend rolling them 5 times for a proper seal.

Hey Heath,
    Let me know how you like your drybag once you use it.

Thanks,
    Lawson

Roger Munsey
    BPL Member

@8100lt

Locale: Cincinnati, Ohio

Lawson,
    Just order a 50L pack-liner. Should fit a ZPacks Blast well and about the same weight as my trash compactor bag! Hope it works as well for me as your drybags have. Great products!

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Thanks for the business Roger. I am glad my drybags have worked well for you and I hope the packliner works great too.

I would love to hear any feedback you may have about the drybags or packliners since no product is ever perfect.

Cheers,
    Lawson

Travis Helton

@tj_hiker

Locale: Pacific NorthWest

Lawson, I just read this thread from the beginning, do you still need those measurements? I have a couple packs I could measure after work if you still were seeking…

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Hey Travis,

I will take any and all measurements you have. The two most important ones are pack circumference and height.

Thanks,
    Lawson

Lau Chi Man Vincent
    Spectator

@bbyellow

Locale: Hong Kong

Hi Lawson,

Just sent a PM to you regarding the traps.
    Please check your mail box.

Regard,
    Vincent

Unknown abc

@edude

cuben fiber traps! do you make one for rabbits? what a great way to reduce consumables weight in the wild! ;)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Interesting…a larger cuben bear trap could provide a huge amount of food and keep you safe. Multi-use :)

No need for that 9oz can of bear spray when you have one of these 0.5oz wonders.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

In addition to bear traps I also make lion traps. The Zimbabwe animal trapper that had them custom built loves them.

Cheers,
    Lawson

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Well, I'm not sure about the lion traps, but the dry bags are beautiful. Seriously.

Puffed them full of air, held when I squeezed them… just ran some water in one of the smaller ones, no leaks… the roll top design is nice (gives options as far as what you want to put in the bags), the buckles are lightweight but tough. No sticking when you click them in. I'm using one for my down quilt, and what I like (besides piece of mind re: my quilts dryness) is that when I have more in my pack, I can compress, then roll the top down to the desired spot, click it shut, and have more space. As I eat through my food and more space becomes available, I let the bag breathe…

Really really nice job on these, couldn't be happier, and the sizes seem just right for different needs. For where Lawson has the price point on these, (especially the ditty pack) it's hard to beat.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools